Pages (36): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »
5 Votes - 4.8 Average   The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [14-06-2018]
Author MessageThe Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [14-06-2018]
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-21-2014]Bloodbeard 04-22-2014

Looking really good Admiral. Like all the small holes in them, will be easy to get somw details in the painting that way.

You make as many heads as you like and I'll find a way do them.  10, 12, 17, 20. Doesn't matter. As lomg as uou thing the sculpting is fun and has inspiration. We'll just end up making to different sets. And if casting fails, you'll have head for an entire regiment.

04-22-2014 12:32 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-21-2014]Yodrin 04-22-2014

Better pic, easier now to see the difference between the heads, and they look awesome!! Hope you to the third "flat one" Wink

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

04-22-2014 01:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 51
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-21-2014]Dînadan 04-22-2014

Very nice work - keep it up Happy

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

04-22-2014 08:06 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 617
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-21-2014]Fuggit Khan 04-22-2014

Beautiful work...nice to see such awesome sculpts to add to the minions of Khans everywhere
Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
04-22-2014 12:05 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 125
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-21-2014]Admiral 04-22-2014

@Bloodbeard: Thank you! I've always found some simple stich holes makes a lot of difference in cloth. FW did it on their CD crewmen. I think we'll settle at 12 heads for these softhats and 10 for the Mongols later on, though that might be after the summer since I've promised my brother to help him with his Elves.

I really hope the casting will work. I'll have to make a turn over the ear areas once done with everything else, since they'll be tricky for the mould to handle.

The knife-clencher head's hair has been somewhat adapted for easier casting, but it's not a guarantee. Please make renewed attempts if the first ones goes awry, and contact your friend for technical support if need be. Don't stress, take pauses between attempts if there would be trouble.

I'd really like to see these cast and used by others than myself if at all possible. If the mould costs would ramp up through several failed attempts I could perhaps sponsor with some cash to alleviate you of the burden.

But actually I think it'll turn out fine. Cheers!

@Yodrin: Haha, thanks! I've prepared a third flat helmet. I'll be busy for a while, but next week I'll try to get it and everything else completed for send-off to Denmark.

@Dînadan: Thank you! I'll get on with it again come next week judging by the schedule.

@Fuggit Khan: Thank you very much! I'd love to see people use these heads if succesfully cast.

Got the equipment for using the camera now. I've experimented some this evening (though the heads turned out too tricky to take an up-front group shot of), which means an awaited update on non-heads stuff. I'll try to improve picture quality in future.

Chaos gang, featuring a sheep from the bagage train (fresh meat!), a digging Gnoblar, a Hobgoblin taskmaster and Feth the Flyface, a once human ally of the Red Host. The latter is part of a friend's army and was converted by me from plastic sprue bits, wall filler, superglue and green stuff. Staff must get more bling.

Skin grotesque included for size comparison. Background texts will be added when the war machines of these crew markers are completed.

Rajah Dasamejri was once the bright star amongst the leaders of northern Ind, both a talented poet, master fencer and experimental metallurgist attempting to advance the Indan mastery of steel-making. His army of twenty thousand men counted dozens of cannons, several mystic wizards and seventy elephants, including bagage train animals used to clear paths through the thick jungles. A husband of nine and father of thirty at the age of thirty six, the man was destined to be remembered as one of the great lords of Ind.

Dasamejri was succesful in his campaigns against rival neighbours, Greenskins and feral children of Chaos. In commemoration of his victories he began to construct a triumphal arch of yellow marble roofed by three onion domes. Yet all his glory, all his resources and all his skill proved to be worth nil when weird, stunted men destroyed his coastal patrol dhows and made landfall but seven miles from his stronghold.

These bearded worshippers of a fell Chaos god of fire quickly entrenched their position instead of advancing immediately inland. This proved an efficient strategy as the forces of the local Rajah Dasamejri converged on the invaders and began to lay siege to their fort.

The besiegers' artillery was suddenly blasted apart by prepared volleys of hellfire and Daemon-rockets. Under the cover of smoke, the cacophony of panic and confusion, the Chaos Dwarfs of the Red Host of Nir-Kezhar advanced from their positions in columns, spreading out in a bulls-horn battleline with cavalry and Daemon-engines on the flanks. The order to advance was sounded by agony screams from a Goblin slave being mutilated by sorcerous acolytes.

Rajah Dasamejri had however regained control of his shocked men. Closing ranks, the warriors of Ind marched out to meet the enemy, a wedge of elephants at the army's centre. The leading beast was the royal war elephant of the ruler, and on it Dasamejri beckoned his men forward, leading the thundering advance into what looked like a foe out of hell. Archers drew arrows to loose whilst handgunners ran forward and kneeled in firing ranks. Their Chaos Dwarf counterparts did likewise.

The scene was set for a great battle which could have swung any way, but such a thing was not to be. Out of the smoky skies dove a winged monster bull with a short warrior on its back. The men of Ind barely had time to register what happened as the diving Bale Taurus crashed horns-first into the general's elephant, crushing both rider and mount into pulp on the dry plain.

A drawn-out moment of silent horror ruled the battlefield for what seemed an hour to the stunned defenders. Then the leaderless rout began as panic set in, encouraged by fearsome sights in the Dawi Zharr ranks. Regiment after regiment fled before the stampeding foe. The day turned into utter carnage as bloodshed and slave hunts began, followed by looting and burning before a withdrawal within three days.

The mangled corpse of Rajah Dasamejri was recovered and flayed by the Chaos Dwarfs after the battle. Skilled craftsmen treated the skin to make it endure the test of time like leather, and then it was drawn and tied to two flat metal poles forming the silhouette of a bull's head. The warlord's tounge was hung on a string and his skull stuck on a short pole alongside the grotesque and a cuneiform stone boasting about his demise.

To this day, the Red Host of Nir-Kezhar employs a slave gang to constantly dig up and dig down again the sadistic decoration as the army travels to new battlefields, the fear it inspires as much a weapon as any axe.

"Darkness be. The ashes of humiliation have been swallowed. The preparations have been made. The sacrifices are ready. Let the ritual of binding commence.

I, Merhanzibul Eyegouger, son of Grazhik and Aekra of clan Himzhul, summon thee.

I, who am the Dark Father's slave and fodder, summon high god Hashut as judge of this ritual.

Oh, you Lord of fire and greed. I prostrate myself before your idol. May you accept this mutilation sacrifice of a live thrall's limb. My dedication is yours. Your fire devour!

I, most craven of creatures, summon the three vigilant Daemons of myth, Urnak, Irzak and Mralfubaal, as witnesses of this ritual.

Hear me, see me, know me, heinous watchers. Receive this rune-scarring sacrifice upon the whipped backs of three thralls. Drink deep of it as payment for your service.

Yet beware, Daemonkin, for my kin owns your souls and possess everlasting mastery of your fickle bodies. Vigiliance be mutual. You may not betray, lie or close your eyes to this ritual. Your humiliation endures!

I, who am but a slave to darkness, invoke the power of the sorcerous wards and obsidian cages, and beseech thee to enslave and trample the living will out of your victim. May this splattering of thrall blood guide hunger.

I, blacksmith of Chaos, reach into the mysteries beyond matter and spirit and calls out to the Daemon known as Lugg-Hazh and command you thrice to answer my summoning!

Answer! Answer! Answer!

I, breaker of backs, crusher of heads, see you, mighty Lugg-Hazh. Your name is known to me and your name is written on this cage which now falls onto your strong form and traps it.

In the name of Hashut the Father of Darkness I hereby cripple and enslave your being into a bound existence in ash and chains. Hear my nine commandments!

You will not betray your masters.

You will not rebel against your masters.

You will not protest against your masters.

You will not lie to your masters.

You will not refuse your masters' will.

You will not destroy the property of your masters.

You will not plot against your masters.

You will not escape from your masters.

You will not seek vengeance against your masters.

Know that my lord Sorcerer-Prophet Nir-Kezhar is now your first master. Know that I, enslaver of souls, is now your second master. Know that the Red Host is now your third master. Know that your masters are now Dawi Zharr.

Heed our will, Lugg-Hazh. Carry our burdens and swallow our foes.

You will know the cruelty of torture and the ashes of humiliation as punishment should you fail in your tasks. You will know the drink of blood and the food of flesh should you succeed in your tasks.

Rise, slave, and be forever our slave.

I, bringer of sacrifices, end this ritual which Hashut has judged and the three Daemons of myth have witnessed. Darkness be."

- Binding of the Daemon Lugg-Hazh

It's not such a completely mad unit filler if you think of Chaos on the one hand, and the greed of Chaos Dwarfs on the other. You need somewhere to store those precious objects when on campaigns.

Preferably something that bite. Hashut!

Painting in progress gobbo gallows:

Some WIP Warmachine support crew. The Hobgoblin will if possible wack people with his knife from the Iron Daemon:

With camera at hand we also have a blurry front and rear picture of the Thracian helmet head. Not good, but it shows the skull if nothing else.

Demands from friends and family means I'll have little opportunity for serious sculpting work for the rest of this week, but before the end of next week everything should be finished on the heads if the schedule don't jumble itself again.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXX - Voting Deadline 18th of July ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 03:10 PM by Admiral.

04-22-2014 07:50 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-21-2014]Yodrin 04-23-2014

So much cool stuff, and great sculpting skills!!! I admire with envy!! Wink

Thommy H Wrote:

04-23-2014 02:31 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-23-2014]Fuggit Khan 04-23-2014

An absolutely awesome update here...it's got it all: great green stuff sculpting, artwork, army fluff and converted/painted miniatures. I love it!
Hats off to you sir Takes Hat off

The army fluff story is well written and really adds to the Dawi Zharr Assyrian themed armies...brilliant Cheers!

04-23-2014 11:33 AM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1354
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-23-2014]tjub 04-23-2014

Wow, impressive! Happy

04-23-2014 11:51 AM
torn
Lord of Flaming Automatons

Slaves: 237
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Scribe's Contest Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-23-2014]torn 04-23-2014

A tip, for real close ups I set my camera to super macro and then anti blur/shake. I have read guides that say to use some other setting that works really well, but only if you can press the shutter without moving the camera,

I have planned for years to make a photography station with a built inset to put the camera in so it doesn't move, but painting models always seems to come first.

current projects:-
New mask/helmet style chaos dwarfs
blood bowl necromantic repaint
beyond the gates of antares algoryn force
my own battlefield!

2014 results with chaos dwarfs
1 - 0 - 1
04-23-2014 03:33 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-23-2014]Admiral 04-24-2014

@Yodrin: Thanks! Don't be envious, buy heads instead. Tongue Wink

@Fuggit Khan: Then hats off to such nice feedback. Takes Hat off

We'll have more of this kind of background in the future.

@tjub: Tackar!

@torn: Thank you very much for the tip. I've not been able to find a super macro or anti blur option on my camera, so ordinary macro pictures will have to suffice. A tripod is inbound from Hongkong of all places, and that might solve some blur problems. I'll have to hold my hands steadier in the meantime.

Painting models is indeed more interesting than building photography stations, eh? Wink

We did have a little progress yesterday, ladies and gentlemen. Sorry for the out of bonds accident with the background paper, but I'd rather sculpt more than retake the shots.

I guess we could call this Yodrin's head:

Then this would be torn's and Fuggit Khan's head:

Front picture of the fake nose head. I tried to make the face look a bit mangled and twisted due to the beating which got the nose. The hat is also not aligned that straight and symmetric with the head:

And then something of a knife clenched between teeth special, showing this particular head from four angles now that it is pretty much finished bar ball joint throat. This is primarily for Bloodbeard to look at for danger zones for the casting on the sides of the head. Please point out any areas which could prove an enemy of the mould.

Thank you all for the great feedback! It sure helps speed up the process.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXX - Voting Deadline 18th of July ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 03:11 PM by Admiral.

04-24-2014 03:18 AM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 51
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-23-2014]Dînadan 04-24-2014

Very nice work.  Ever considered taking up sculpting full time? Happy

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

04-24-2014 03:28 AM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-24-2014]Bloodbeard 04-24-2014

My friend says I should still be possible to cast that. No problems detected.

This is great stuff Admiral! Really starting to look like top of te line stuff. A lot of details on the heads. I'm in awe!

04-24-2014 03:37 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-24-2014]Yodrin 04-24-2014

Dînadan Wrote:
Very nice work.  Ever considered taking up sculpting full time? Happy

Yea you should!!!!!

Thommy H Wrote:

04-24-2014 11:47 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-24-2014]Fuggit Khan 04-24-2014

Beautiful sculpts Admiral...and naturally my favorite is the 'torn and Fuggit Khan head' Wink
I'm quite impressed by the stitches, the attention to detail such as the loopholes they are threaded through is simply amazing. And kudo's for sculpting their ears pointing back, instead of up...very distinctive of the look of the original 4th edition Hobbo's

Takes Hat off

04-24-2014 02:04 PM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1354
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-24-2014]tjub 04-24-2014

Wow! Big Grin

04-24-2014 02:49 PM
torn
Lord of Flaming Automatons

Slaves: 237
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Scribe's Contest Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-24-2014]torn 04-24-2014

I need these. Here's hoping the moulding is a success.

current projects:-
New mask/helmet style chaos dwarfs
blood bowl necromantic repaint
beyond the gates of antares algoryn force
my own battlefield!

2014 results with chaos dwarfs
1 - 0 - 1
04-24-2014 02:56 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-24-2014]Admiral 04-24-2014

Woah, I'm quite flattered by your confidence in my sculpting abilities. Thank you, but I believe you overestimate. Takes Hat off

@Dînadan: Thanks! I'll do it if I get regular wages.

Sculpting miniatures would be a dream job, so the salary wouldn't need to be high, but I could hardly make a freelance living out of it! If nothing else I'm probably too slow for it, since I try to make everything in small, managable steps to maximize details and get a sufficient result. As soon as people get their hands on the heads or whatever other small products I might conjure in the future, they'll notice telltale marks of amateur work. At least if they look closely.

My specialty is faces, whilst anatomy is harder and blades just won't do for production when sculpted by me. We'll see about sculpting jobs in the future!

@Bloodbeard: Thank you kindly! I'll probably make similar views of each head for your friend to watch for moulding flaws.

@Yodrin: Thanks! I'll do it for regular payment. Wink

@Fuggit Khan: Thank you very much! Small details like the stiches' loopholes is something I've always noticed since early childhood. But really there is nothing skilful about the stitching, it's all simple method and patience! See below.

I guess we'll pick up the old tradition of naming every miniature in a set, in this case heads, so the champion head would obviously be Fuggit Khan. With your permission. Tongue Wink

@Tjub: Thank you!

@torn: Fingers crossed for that! Or, as we say in Sweden, we hold our thumbs.

Very well, folks! Sculpting continues with the heads, but for a while now there'll be nothing to show but more hat flaps and the two new heads' stages. Weekend will be busy.

So before this lapse in updates I'll leave you with this basic pointer for how the stitching was done. It's not a tutorial, but it's almost too simple to warrant a tutorial. For the purpose we have a head with half its stitches finished, the other side is still all loopholes.

First we make a hat and slice a separation between the halves with a sharp knife. Then mark out the loopholes with generous needle punches:

Then apply the stitches. Carve them down to size to avoid fat look and try to smooth them down into the loopholes in a way which looks a bit natural:

That's all!

This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 03:12 PM by Admiral.

04-24-2014 03:05 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-24-2014]Fuggit Khan 04-24-2014

Admiral Wrote:
I guess we'll pick up the old tradition of naming every miniature in a set, in this case heads, so the champion head would obviously be Fuggit Khan. With your permission. Tongue Wink

Quite an honour to have such a nice sculpt named after my Khan...thank you!  Cheers!

04-24-2014 03:48 PM
TheVoice
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 19

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-24-2014]TheVoice 04-27-2014

I can no longer see any of the pictures without upgrading to premium Photobucket.

harvestmouse Wrote:
You never know though, The Voice is a one man crusade to bring back all warhammers reptiles, Fimir, snakemen, trogs, zoats, old fashioned slann, cold ones lizardmen...

And with Storm of Magic, I won.

04-27-2014 11:23 AM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-24-2014]Yodrin 04-27-2014

What happened to the pics?

Thommy H Wrote:

04-27-2014 01:57 PM
Pages (36): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites