Pages (35): « First < Previous 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 Next > Last »
5 Votes - 4.8 Average   The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [01-11-2017]
Author MessageThe Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [01-11-2017]
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 528
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [28-07-2016]Admiral 09-29-2016

@Timothy Archer: Thank you kindly!

@Fuggit Khan: Indeed! Converting is great fun, too. Thank you very much!

@Jackswift: Thanks graciously! Now it's only the matter of having them painted in at least 3 basecolours before the tournament...

@Carcearion: That's very kind of you to ask. Those heads were great fun to sculpt, but I'd rather not by hand redo them in smaller size since it'd just be making doubles of something already done rather than doing something new. We've had the fortune of having an American volunteer, kabniel, tackle the 3D-scanning a bit in his free time on a university. This dropbox link shows a quite decent scan, in need of post-scan cleanup. For this we're in need of a volunteer 3D-artist to work some defined details back into scans. kabniel is busy this season, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything soon, but should anyone know of a 3D-artist willing to take on the knotty job we'd be grateful to hear of it.

We're quite dependant on volunteer enthusiasts working for practically free (they'll get freebies of the kit once cast, obviously). One 3D-printing company which I contacted were helpful enough to give a thorough explanation of their equipments' far limits, where cleanup would be in order and their ability to achieve high definition scans, yet the price tag was too high for such a small project.

@Bloodbeard: Fingers crossed kabniel's hard efforts pay off. If we have them shrunk and cast I can do some Mongol Hobgoblin ones too, trying to keep size with the Phrygian casts.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 09-29-2016 03:34 AM by Admiral.

09-29-2016 03:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Carcearion
Daemon Prince of Hashut

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 183
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [28-07-2016]Carcearion 09-29-2016

Oh wow, thanks for the in depth reply it's always interesting to hear what is going on behind the scenes. I wish very much I was able to help in someway, they seem so tantalizingly close to completion (I mean you even have basic scans done, and they are such dastardly looking gits). I guess all we can do is hope that one of our fellows has the skills and the interest to pick it up and/or wait patiently for kabniel (although I think I'm going to have to poke around and see what the state of 3D model editing freeware is, you never know what you can do until you try).

Thanks again for the update, looking forward to seeing what your up to next (lol and to finding more gems in the archives) Big Grin

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!

This post was last modified: 09-29-2016 08:01 AM by Carcearion.

09-29-2016 07:59 AM
Forgefire
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 400
Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [28-07-2016]Forgefire 09-29-2016

Did not know that! I studied for three years 3d graphics in games. Perhaps i could lend a hand when i have less things to do and have the patience to reinstall all my 3d software.. I dont use them that much since im more into painting Happy Shouldnt be that hard with zbrush!

09-29-2016 10:19 AM
Pappa Midnight
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 456
Scribe's Contest Silver Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2016 Golden Hat - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [28-07-2016]Pappa Midnight 09-29-2016

More excellent work! I would also think separate CD Heads/ Hats would be very useful...... hint hint......

Regards
PM

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.
09-29-2016 03:02 PM
AtomTaylor
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 161
Hellsmith - Silver                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [28-07-2016]AtomTaylor 09-30-2016

Awesome conversion work Admiral, love what you've done. Its completely altered
the look, very nicely too. The Mortar looks so much better. The horns are such a touch.

https://www.facebook.com/OldschoolMinis
09-30-2016 10:57 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [06-10-2016]Admiral 10-06-2016

@Carcearion: Thanks! Be our guest and poke around. Any help is appreciated.

@Forgefire: Excellent! It would be great if you could help us out! It would also reinforce the whole venture as a cooperative one. Cheers!

@Pappa Midnight: Thanks! They would indeed be.

@AtomTaylor: Thank you very much! Feel free to use any ideas on future sculpts of your own, as always no need to ask. Happy

Here's my entry from the concept art contest. Had hoped to paint a picture for it as well, but time ran out. It's a concept for some planned evil Dwarf sculpts, Faceless Ones, infernal torturers, slavers and terror troops for psychological warfare on steroids. I needed to map out potential tools, equipment and weapons to be used on the models, and included one or two Bronze Age ones such as the boarding pike:

Next up, Slave Orcs!

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 04:11 AM by Admiral.

10-06-2016 04:06 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [29-10-2016]Admiral 10-29-2016

Orc Slaves of Ancient Times

Based on a lot of valuable feedback from here.

Heads have been sculpted first, since they'll be handy to have finished for posing and sculpting the bodies. 12 head variants for 6 bodies will give space for choice. I do not have the materials to swiftly photograph the heads sufficiently well together (also besides a WHFB Orc head for scale) and size comparison. Will have to fix something soon. In the meanwhile, here we have some ugly, warty, scarred slaves, with hides sculpted to hint at roughness and weather-bitten skin. Notes per head.

Enjoy, or get disgusted as you see fit. Happy

1: Face cage with lock for key placed at nose. Roughly hammered iron bands riveted together. Nailed into head. Angry face and upright ears tell us why his head is locked in.

2: Face bars.

3: Mix between scold's bridle and dirt-eater mask. Head is the smallest of the bunch. Will need some jaw inflation.

4: Evil dwarf fantasy version of owner stamp to the forehead. Runic plate riveted to forehead, with chainmail veil and sewn-shut lips.

5: Stitched lips with bull nose ring. Slaves are like cattle, pull them along! Swollen bruise on top of head.

6: Head in a sack. My brother's idea.

7: Bandaged eye, half a red smile.

8: Jawless head. Stark cruelty. Based on WWI wounded without jaws.

9: Limp hair head. A nest for lice, sure, but it's intended to convey the pathetic look.

10: Open mouth face. Tongue sticking out with both tusks broken off. Raised scar on one cheek.

11: 1/3 flayed head. Transition head to go along with the one below. There will be some few flayed or partially flayed body parts, and one very unlucky sod who at least have both arms unshackled and both hands intact...

12: Flayed head. Small skin patches remaining at the back of the head, for transition to bodies with skin.

Below are reference pictures for sculpting the bodies:

10-29-2016 05:28 PM
Carcearion
Daemon Prince of Hashut

Slaves: 183
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [29-10-2016]Carcearion 10-29-2016

Ughh! Some of those are horrifying reference photos. I was not prepared when i followed the link over Shock

The Orc heads are looking great so far! of course the question occurs to me how to paint a flayed orc flesh? I feel like people tend to use red blood for them, but it seems like it might be too much contrast if the flayed parts where sticky bloody red but the flesh was still orc green.

The only criticism I have is the bag-head, it almost looks like it has too much texture (especially when compared to the reference image), and allot of textured bags (like burlap for example) have more of an orderly woven texture overall.

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!

This post was last modified: 10-29-2016 06:29 PM by Carcearion.

10-29-2016 06:28 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 831
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [29-10-2016]Bloodbeard 10-29-2016

... It's absolutely ghastly grusome. ... Damn!

10-29-2016 06:56 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Will Liam
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 231
Golden Hat - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [29-10-2016]Will Liam 10-29-2016

The orc heads are up there with some of the best things you’ve sculpted I think – I like original warhammer but I think you are stating to win me over with the orc slaves sculpts – good stuff

10-29-2016 08:03 PM
Enjoysrandom
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 378
Artisan's Contest - Bronze Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [29-10-2016]Enjoysrandom 10-29-2016

Well you have that shock value down pretty good, I really like the caged heads. I reckon caging the face and binding them is more a suitable punishment/torturer for a slave (isolation and restriction of your own body makes for a good "educational" exercises for slaves).

Check out my Google Drive, and my Ebay Store, message me if you have any questions.
10-29-2016 08:09 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Forgefire
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 400
Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [29-10-2016]Forgefire 10-30-2016

Damn good work! Looking great so far!

10-30-2016 10:34 AM
Pappa Midnight
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 456
Scribe's Contest Silver Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2016 Golden Hat - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [29-10-2016]Pappa Midnight 10-30-2016

Those are absolutely brilliant. Makes my proposed slave orcs look a little redundant.
Look forward to seeing more.
regards
PM

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.
10-30-2016 01:22 PM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 218
Scribe's Contest Gold Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [29-10-2016]Helblindi 10-31-2016

I'm getting pretty uncomfortable about the cruelty inflicted on these slaves, but it is a logical consequence of chaos dwarf society, so good work I guess!

Helblindi's Throng: Karak Brothar
My Evil Throng: Helblindi's Legion
My Blood Bowl stuff
10-31-2016 08:40 AM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 471
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [29-10-2016]Fuggit Khan 10-31-2016

Those sculpts are as masterfully sculpted as they are disturbingly gruesome. Those poor Orcs!
The sack on the head Orc reminds me of the cannibalistic Butchers in Dark Souls. Creepy!
I'm sending you 50 slaves in offerings to your master skills (do with them as you will)

Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
10-31-2016 02:09 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [10-12-2016]Admiral 12-09-2016

@Carcearion: One. Thank you! Blood red is one way to do it, though there are probably more advanced ways involving mixing in pink skin colour or the like. It will not contrast so much in this unit, given the sheer amount of wounds and even flaying incoming for the Orcs' bodies.

Good point on burlap texture! I tried to sculpt some subtle rough cloth texture into the Hobgoblin clothes below as a test, though it looked better without it. As for the sack, I think it doesn't look odd when holding it in my hand, though it sure is the cheapshot head.

@Bloodbeard: Two. They don't look like free and proud Orcs now, do they?

@Will Liam: Thank you kindly! That's high praise. I hope to win you over. Takes Hat off

@Forgefire: Tack så mycket!

@Pappa Midnight: Thank you very much, that's much appreciated. Hope the now to be started Orc bodies will deliver.

@Helblindi: Three. That's the desired reaction from a true uncorrupted Dwarf player!

@Fuggit Khan: Four. Thank you, Fuggit, I'll flay them and feed them to the Orcs, then make loinclothes of their skins! Cheers!

Hobgoblin Slavedrivers

As per Carcearion's advice, here are two taskmasters to herd the Orcs along. Scale is still a bit off from ideal, but the size in the sculpts might be on the right track. Their feet and legs are not as lively as one could have hoped for, but they'll have to do. The first Orc pilot sculpt is a lot livelier, so the big eye-catchers should hold more movement in them.

These slavedrivers will be released as a small kit on their own, and way ahead of the Orc slaves. Will probably include a couple of small pots as kit extras depending on mould space, to make use of the reject excess Zealot sculpts. You'll see a lot of this practice in future kits, small bits and bobs that should help lend character to the whole tabletop setting.

As per Bloodbeard's advice, these Slavedrivers will not include Chaos Dwarf bitz, such as a hand with whip, hand with decapitated Orc head or the like. Such bitz will almost certainly show up later, either with a dedicated slave butcher/torturer hero sculpt, or as optional hands for the planned rank and file torturer/crewmen kit.

The armour and clothes are based on some Persian warrior garb seen in the second picture below. Note the chubby whipper. If you wonder where the amputated thrall parts went, he probably ate them! The prodder's spearhead breaks the regional inspiration, sort of, since it's based on a British bronze age spear head, not Middle Eastern/eastern Mediterranean ones, but what the heck, I just went with what looked most interesting on a quick picture search. Also note the prodder's eyepatch.

Fuggit Khan's emissary stands for size comparison:

12-09-2016 09:37 PM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Hero

Slaves: 497
Scribe's Contest Gold Golden Hat - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Veteran                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [10-12-2016]Jackswift 12-10-2016

Nicely done.   The period garments on the hobgob overseers really make them stand out.

12-10-2016 12:00 AM
Darkmeer
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 116

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [10-12-2016]Darkmeer 12-10-2016

Excellent work!  Loving the period garb and the way they all relate back to the original hobgoblins.

12-10-2016 12:34 AM
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1177
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [10-12-2016]Zanko 12-10-2016

The Hobbos look awesome! Cheers!

Really great work dude! Takes Hat off

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

12-10-2016 03:37 AM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 218
Scribe's Contest Gold Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [10-12-2016]Helblindi 12-10-2016

Excellent detail and research. They look beautiful, but I can't help but notice the overall shape of these sculpts is pretty two-dimensional, which sort of bothers me, but I can imagine this makes casting a lot easier. However dynamic the whipper's upper body is, it would be amplified by a different position of his legs, at a bit of an angle to his upper body.

I don't want to criticize your work too much. You're an amazing sculptor, godlike compared to what I can achieve with greenstuff. I just think you might further improve if I point out where any problems seem to remain.

Helblindi's Throng: Karak Brothar
My Evil Throng: Helblindi's Legion
My Blood Bowl stuff
12-10-2016 03:59 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites