Lostmember's Stuff - Experimental rules added
Author MessageLostmember's Stuff - Experimental rules added
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 17

Lostmember's Stuff - Experimental rules addedlostmember 09-28-2011

So, I did one of these things about a year ago; but as I have forgotten what my old user name was (and to save me looking through every thread for a year) I'm going to start a new one.  

I've split my army building project in two.  One part is the slave horde that I'll be detailing here; the other half will be the Dawi Zharr themselves.  

As I only just got my Warhammer stuff back after a year, I've spent the last week looking through and trying to remember what I was doing with all the bits.  So far I have pieced together a Siege Giant, Hobgoblin Horde, Wolf Riders, Sneaky Gitz, Boar Centaurs, Minotaurs and a scratch-built Hobgoblin Deathroller *edit* and an Orc Horde.  There's also a Khan and a Hobgoblin caster.

I've got the parts for a couple more units, and all the ones listed above all need finishing off properly and could all be called WIPs.

The aim is to build an army that is compatible with Warhammer Armies: Orcs and Goblins, but which fits into my own CD list that I'll use for friendly games.  I'll put up pictures of the WIP models tomorrow and hopefully I can get feed-back and ideas from people to improve things, or for new projects.  I'm working on a giant 'ore processor' (needs a snappier name) that will be crewed by Hobgoblins and 'count as' an Arachnarok Spider for game purposes.  Once I have the rough idea of how it'll all work I'd love some advice on how to get the right 'look'.

I'll update again tomorrow evening. Takes Hat off

Blog - http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=9847

This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 02:45 AM by lostmember.

09-28-2011 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Lostmember's Slave Hordelostmember 09-30-2011

Hobgoblin Wolfriders.

WIP Scratch-built 'deathroller'.

WIP slave horde.

Very-WIP Siege Giant.

09-30-2011 04:58 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 591
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Lostmember's Slave Horde (some pictures added)Admiral 09-30-2011

Splendid. I like everything of it, you sure have some kitbashing conversion skills. Having a two-part army as you plan seem a clever move when collecting Chaos Dwarfs. I only hope you'll fill the gaps (such as the long ones in the Warhounds and on the metal head of the Deathroller). Will you put in Chaos icons on the orc boyz' banner? Will there be bearded taskmasters with whips at the back row of slave units?

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 09-30-2011 05:56 PM by Admiral.

09-30-2011 05:55 PM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Lostmember's Slave Horde (some pictures added)lostmember 09-30-2011

Cheers for the feedback, Admiral.  I'll fill all the gaps in, but I usually do mould-lines last.  

All my slave units will be lead by an Overseer with a barbed whip, acting as unit champion when I use the army as Orcs and Goblins.

I'll be doing something with the banners to tie the army together, but I'm not sure what yet.

09-30-2011 06:22 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 591
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Lostmember's Slave Horde (some pictures added)Admiral 09-30-2011

Perhaps you could give every standard one of these Chaos icons? They might be quite small, but could be placed below the main standard top if you want a larger one. If you have spare Chaos banner tops, they'd come in handy.

Placing a brazier (from the Bretonnian Bowmen box) on top of every banner would perhaps work, or even a sculpted and home-cast bull's head similar to the Infernal Guard's standard. Perhaps some fine jeweler's chains could be used for decoration. Sadly, Forgeworld don't do etched brass Chaos Undivided or Chaos Dwarf symbols. Otherwise that could have helped a lot, including for CD shield icons for the slave horde.

Perhaps you could aim for painting all the cloth banners in a similar style.

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 09-30-2011 07:23 PM by Admiral.

09-30-2011 07:18 PM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Lostmember's Slave Horde (some pictures added)lostmember 09-30-2011

Cheers for the link Admiral, but I don't think I'd spend money on standard tops - might make similar ones though.  An idea I've been working on is having a slave crucified on each banner, as an "example" to the rest.  Thought that wouldn't work for scouts like wolf riders.  I'm currently making some chains for the giant by linking together paperclip sections (cut to size) that have a thin cover of greenstuff to give it more bulk.  I could probably use them without the greenstuff to make smaller chains - certainly I was thinking of having some slaves dragged behind the deathroller (it'll count as a pump wagon) for some misdeed or other.

Once I've finalised an idea I'll do some close-ups of it and see what can be done to improve it.

09-30-2011 08:00 PM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Lostmember's Slave Horde 'n' Chaos Dwarfs (WIP CD shortly)lostmember 10-01-2011

A WIP Chaos Dwarf warrior.  This is my first real piece of green-stuff work for a very long time, but it's only the first rough work so it's more to give an idea of the general theme than the finished product.

The feet are just to base him so I can work, he'll have sculpted boots when I've finished.  He'll also be given a beard (obviously) so I won't do too much to the front armour, but I'll sort out the sides.  He'll also have a high-helm and round shield.

10-01-2011 06:08 PM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Lostmember's Stuff - Coming soon - scratch-built Dreadquake.lostmember 10-06-2011

Probably at some point tomorrow, I'll put up pictures of a finished (green) warrior, WIP BCs and a Dreadquake made almost entirely out of spare sprues and bases.

I'll need as much help as I can get with the details on the Dreadquake, so I'd appreciate your help.

10-06-2011 02:46 AM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Lostmember's Stuff - Coming soon - scratch-built Dreadquake.lostmember 10-06-2011

My Dreadquake is starting to take shape.  Unfortunately, my decent digital camera is out of action - so this picture is awful.

You can at least get an idea of it though.

Aside from the mortar itself, which cost me about 50p from a toy shop, only one piece on the model isn't made from bases or sprues.  So far the model has taken up over 70 mantic bases, as well as 16 40k bases.

The point of this was to see whether I could build a Dreadquake just from stuff I had lying around the house, or bits from my bits-box.  If it works out well in the end, I'll have a crack at a Magma Cannon and an Iron Daemon.

I'll try to get a better picture, with a couple of models for scale.

This post was last modified: 10-06-2011 06:29 PM by lostmember.

10-06-2011 06:27 PM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Lostmember's Stuff - WIP scratch-built Dreadquakelostmember 10-06-2011

A better picture:

The ogre and dwarf are for scale.

I have got the basic 'form' now.  It's going to need a phenomenal amount of greenstuff to finish the basic shapes (boiler, undercarriage etc) and then add the details.  I'm making wheels from 40k bases and having a look for something to use for piping and valve-wheels.

I'm quite hopefully this will work out well.

10-06-2011 11:24 PM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1259
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Lostmember's Stuff - Better Dreadquake picNicodemus 10-07-2011

Woah... awesome start, it's really looking good.  Can't wait to see it as it takes shape!

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

10-07-2011 12:36 AM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Lostmember's Stuff - Better Dreadquake piclostmember 10-07-2011

Thanks, Nico; I'm quite pleased with it so far.  However, they say the devil is in the details, and it'll be the greenstuff work that decides if it's any good.  I just hope I don't wreck it.

10-07-2011 01:36 AM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Last pic before I do some green-stuff work.  But I think putting some wheels on has really brought the model together and really made it look like a Dreadquake.

Obviously still got the hardest bits to do.

10-07-2011 02:49 AM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Whilst I'm taking photos:

WIP BCs

For scale

They'll get scale armour and barding, along with bulkier 'bovine' bodies.  I'm also going to give them more dwarfish faces (big nose, tusks etc) but want them to look slightly daemonic.

10-07-2011 03:22 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 714
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Lostmember's Stuff - WIP Dreadquake and BCsSkink 10-07-2011

I'm not totally sold on the heads and hands of the BCs... They just look too daemonic! The conversion  you made on the lower body however is interesting, can't wait too see a test model finished!

The dreadquake is absolutely awesome! I think it already works like this, just add some rivets and some details on the wheels and it will be ready!

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
10-07-2011 04:36 AM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1559
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Lostmember's Stuff - WIP Dreadquake and BCstjub 10-07-2011

The BC looks great so far! Happy

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

10-07-2011 05:41 AM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Lostmember's Stuff - WIP Dreadquake and BCslostmember 10-07-2011

Skink - I can understand the heads looking wrong, but I hope they'll look more fitting once the green is done.  The hands aren't daemonic, they're from the minotaurs, so I'm not sure what you mean there.  If you could explain why they don't look right I can see if I can fix them.  Thy're an experiment, so they need work.

Tjub - Cheers.

10-07-2011 08:33 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 714
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Lostmember's Stuff - WIP Dreadquake and BCsSkink 10-07-2011

...Now that I look them better I think that what's in contrast whit the rest of the model aren't actually the hands but the arms. Considering that the upper body of a BC is a Chaos Dwarf your arms look too bulky compared to the heads... They make me think to an Ogre or a Minotaur.

EDIT: I read now that they are Minotaur arms.

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!

This post was last modified: 10-07-2011 10:49 AM by Skink.

10-07-2011 10:48 AM
ryanamandaanna
Great Taurus

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 249
Golden Hat - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Lostmember's Stuff - WIP Dreadquake and BCsryanamandaanna 10-07-2011

great work so far!  I'm very impressed by how close the Dreadquake is in scale/concept to forgeworlds!  Big Grin

10-07-2011 11:32 AM
lostmember
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Lostmember's Stuff - WIP Dreadquake and BCslostmember 10-07-2011

Skink - I agree the arms are bulky, but I think this is overemphasised due to the model only being a skeleton right now.  I think it'll look far more proportional once a) I've formed the armoured body and b) I've bulked out the legs.  If you look at the scale picture, they're actually slightly bigger than the new minotaurs (much bigger than ogres and almost the size of the old metal giant).  Hopefully it'll work out.  If not, they'll have to go in 'the box of shame'.

Ryanetc - The Dreadquake is so close because I had a look at a picture of the thing from Forgeworld and guessed the scale from the ogre.  It's not exact, because everything was made in 1" pieces due to the material (mantic bases) used for the chassis.  That's what happens when you build stuff out of leftovers though.

10-07-2011 01:04 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites