Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   The Khaozalid Dictionary
Author MessageThe Khaozalid Dictionary
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 231
Scribe's Contest Silver Best General - 2014 Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy ProjectMadHatter 03-10-2014

GeofreyShank Wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

As for Zhugulzar, I think that "the black port" would be a colloquial name rather than a literal translation of the name. I cannot find any further information apart from a vague location.

Yes, I looked around the Khazalid dictonary aswell and couldn't really find a way to crack it either. Colloquial is a real nice sounding term, ill update the dictionary with it later!

EDIT: Updated and replaced all instances of CD Specific with CDColloquial

May your hat be tall and your beard ever coiled.
MadHatter's 90's Big Hats Blog!
BAD BATTLEREPORTS

This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 01:47 PM by MadHatter.

03-10-2014 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy ProjectMadHatter 03-10-2014

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
Khazalid is a hard and guttural language, whereas the Dark Tongue is more oily and slithering - it can create some beautiful sounds and some that are a smidge awkward (although some should be due to it being a Chaotic language).

I'm experimenting with a way to morph the DToC into the Khazalid dialect, a.i. DToC as it would sound spoken by a Chaos Dwarf. I looked through the Khazalid dictionary and took note on what letters of the latin alphabet are not really used and isolated Q, C, S and E. I then started bending the DToC.

Original can be found here for comparision: http://slaakhar.shivtr.com/forum_threads/139908

This is the result of using the following rules:
Q, C becomes K
S becomes Z
E becomes I

ROOT WORDS SIMPLIFIED MEANINGS
Khaoz - Chaos, the Sea of Souls, magic, power
Phaoz - Will, mind, soul, essence
Dhaoz - Immaterial, spirit, daemon, entity
Tziin - Change - the will to change
Nurgh - Decay - the will to live. defy decay
Zlaa - Ecstacy - the will to feel & sense
Khar - Rage - the will to dominate
Lith, nith - Lord of, master of, ruler of, source of
Hyzh - White (or Light) magic.
Khamon - Yellow (or Gold) magic.
Ghryan - Green (or Life) magic.
Azyr - Blue (or Celestial) magic.
Uglu - Grey (or Shadow) magic.
Zhyizh - Purple (or Death) magic.
Akzhy - Red (or Fire) magic.
Ghur - Brown (or Beasts) magic.
Dhar - Black (or Dark) magic.
Khayzh - All colors (or High) magic.

PREFIX / SUFFIX SIMPLIFIED MEANINGS
-'y Metallic. Eg. Akzhy'y - bronze/brass, Hizh'y - Ithimar, Mithril
-azh Liquid. Eg. Akzhyazh - blood, Azyrazh - water.
I'- Element. Eg. I'akzhy - fire, I'Azyr - air.
Kha- Time. Eg. Kaakzhy - sunrise/sunset. Khadhar - night.
-ik Place. Eg. Akzhyik - battlefield. Khayzhek - the world.
'Phak Event. Eg. Akzhy'phak - battle. Chamon'phak - explosion.
Dha- Heavenly Body. Eg. Dhaakzhy - comet, Dhachamon - the sun.
Remove last letter Simple Color. Eq. Akzh - red, Ulg - grey.

Is the oilyness and slithering dampened? Is this a good idea? What do you guys think?

EDIT: Should we call the CDO dialect... Khaozalid?

BAD BATTLEREPORTS

This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 02:05 PM by MadHatter.

03-10-2014 01:29 PM
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy ProjectMadHatter 03-11-2014

v1.5 The Mask of the Furnace
Tromm-Klad Grungronit (Literally: Beard-armour of the Forge)

Stem:
Grungron - A forge, metalwork (Khazalid)
Tromm - Beard; respect due to age or experience (Khazalid)
Klad - Armour, iron plating (Khazalid)

Khazalid Grammar:
A specific, the: +it makes grungron: Grungronit

Black Fortress
Kol Kazad (Literally: Black Fortress)

Stem:
Kol - The colour black; black stone; sombre (Khazalid)
Kazad - Fortress (Khazalid)

Khazalid Grammar:
n/a

BAD BATTLEREPORTS

This post was last modified: 04-23-2014 08:47 PM by MadHatter.

03-11-2014 09:22 AM
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy ProjectMadHatter 03-11-2014

Update
Added a "Current objectives" list so we can keep track of things

BAD BATTLEREPORTS
03-11-2014 09:24 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 592
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy ProjectAdmiral 03-11-2014

This thread is a joy to follow.

I'm not a grammatically inclined man and would not be of much use for the project even if I made a serious attempt at it, but I'll give two thumbs up from the crow's nest. Takes Hat off

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
03-11-2014 03:15 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1337
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy Projectcornixt 03-13-2014

Wow, so much goodness already!

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.
There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

03-13-2014 04:07 PM
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy ProjectMadHatter 03-15-2014

Admiral Wrote:
This thread is a joy to follow.

I'm not a grammatically inclined man and would not be of much use for the project even if I made a serious attempt at it, but I'll give two thumbs up from the crow's nest. Takes Hat off

Real happy your following! Takes Hat off

cornixt Wrote:
Wow, so much goodness already!

Cheers!

BAD BATTLEREPORTS
03-15-2014 01:40 PM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 742
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy ProjectHashut's Blessing 03-15-2014

MadHatter: Stole my name for the bastardisation of the two languages Wink been mentally calling it that since my last post. Found I haven't got my 6th edition Warriors of Chaos book up here (in storage over 200 miles away!) and not had a chance to get on here until now. All looking good.

I can guarantee that The Black Port isn't it's official title and that Zhugulzar is the noun for the port. I believe it's Varr (from the top of my head) for Port. Additionally, regarding ships/airships etc, I will have to re-read The Great Betrayal as it makes mention of the first airship and so on.

Regarding the use of apostrophes and hyphens, it may be a case by case basis, but hyphens are preferable to apostrophes because of the Khazalid roots. A lot of the formation of the language may be down to what "feels" right, but we can certainly base a rough system on it.

You're making excellent progress and I'm sorry I'm yet to hold up my end of the bargain (my workload is really piling on at the moment, but in my business, I can't afford to say no and am currently do around a dozen different jobs and in different capacities). It may be that you get the groundwork and toil done and I end up tweaking the grammar and so on.

You're getting some extra slaves to help you and commend/praise you. You have done well, my padawan Tongue Wink

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

03-15-2014 07:40 PM
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy ProjectMadHatter 03-16-2014

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
MadHatter: Stole my name for the bastardisation of the two languages Wink been mentally calling it that since my last post. Found I haven't got my 6th edition Warriors of Chaos book up here (in storage over 200 miles away!) and not had a chance to get on here until now. All looking good.

I can guarantee that The Black Port isn't it's official title and that Zhugulzar is the noun for the port. I believe it's Varr (from the top of my head) for Port. Additionally, regarding ships/airships etc, I will have to re-read The Great Betrayal as it makes mention of the first airship and so on.

Regarding the use of apostrophes and hyphens, it may be a case by case basis, but hyphens are preferable to apostrophes because of the Khazalid roots. A lot of the formation of the language may be down to what "feels" right, but we can certainly base a rough system on it.

You're making excellent progress and I'm sorry I'm yet to hold up my end of the bargain (my workload is really piling on at the moment, but in my business, I can't afford to say no and am currently do around a dozen different jobs and in different capacities). It may be that you get the groundwork and toil done and I end up tweaking the grammar and so on.

You're getting some extra slaves to help you and commend/praise you. You have done well, my padawan Tongue Wink

That's great! This week I will continue to update the dictonary entries aswell as try to start dwarfifying the DToC words and make a tutorial for that for the resources section, I think we'll just call the basic entries v1.0, the updated ones v1.5 and later when you got the time and add the finishing touches and all the fixes we can talk about that as v2.0! Ill write the version numbers list-wise, just so we can keep track of what has been done where Happy

Very interesting with the airship-stuff, I think Varr means sea, idk, perhaps Kol Kazad-Varr like sea-fortress would be like the black sea-fortress? Nautical terms are quite hard from Khazalid so Varr is most likely included in most words there haha Wink Will be nice to see how that turns out later here!

Haha great with the project name!

Goodluck with your work and movies! Takes Hat off

BAD BATTLEREPORTS

This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 07:19 AM by MadHatter.

03-16-2014 07:17 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy ProjectHashut's Blessing 03-17-2014

In that case, it's Barr that is port. But I was fairly certain Barr meant gate. Then again, Barak Varr means Sea-Gate, so that's probably what it is.

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

03-17-2014 03:55 PM
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

RE: The Khaozalid Dictionairy ProjectMadHatter 03-18-2014

Updates

Mostly been doing maintenance work tonight Happy

*Changed the project name to "The Khaozalid Dictionary Project"  

*Added a rough tutorial on how to dwarfify DToC into a Khazalid dialect.

*Added "Airship" to Other phrases and "Port - Barak Varr (Literally: Sea-Gate)" to nautical terms.

*Added HB's input on apostrophes and hyphens to the general guidelines section.

*Added version numbers to keep track on what words have been worked on. Translations makes words v1.0, words with dwarfified DToC makes them v1.5 and contracted words with revised grammar makes them v2.0

BAD BATTLEREPORTS

This post was last modified: 03-18-2014 06:04 PM by MadHatter.

03-18-2014 06:03 PM
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

RE: The Chaos-Khazalid Dictionairy ProjectMadHatter 03-18-2014

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
In that case, it's Barr that is port. But I was fairly certain Barr meant gate. Then again, Barak Varr means Sea-Gate, so that's probably what it is.

Yep, looks right, updated the stuff just now!

BAD BATTLEREPORTS
03-18-2014 06:05 PM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

RE: The Khaozalid Dictionairy ProjectHashut's Blessing 03-20-2014

Will honestly be able to start this properly next week Big Grin

I will also get the relevant airship terms as I want to update the wiki with The Great Betrayal's mentioning of us anyway Happy

WarplockMonkey Wrote:

03-20-2014 10:38 PM
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

RE: The Khaozalid Dictionairy ProjectMadHatter 03-21-2014

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
Will honestly be able to start this properly next week Big Grin

I will also get the relevant airship terms as I want to update the wiki with The Great Betrayal's mentioning of us anyway Happy

Sounds great Happy yeah I've been having alot to attend to this week aswell! I'm trying to solve a translation for 'hate' and a better translation than the current one for 'ship', not so easy as it might seem but would finish a couple of lists.

I actually haven't read that, will have to order Happy

Ill try to bring the tamurkhan units list up to 1.5 asap aswell and I'm really excited to see the airship terms and that stuff! Bet it will be really cool stuff!

For today it's friday and ill have to take a break from the library duties and tend to my hobgoblin wench and perhaps have some more red ale from the chalice Cheers!

BAD BATTLEREPORTS

This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 12:08 PM by MadHatter.

03-21-2014 11:53 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

RE: The Khaozalid Dictionairy ProjectHashut's Blessing 03-23-2014

The problem with hate is that it is a concept and Khazalid struggles to define them (as it does emotions). You will likely find that it will be something they despise (grobi or urks, maybe elgi) with a suffix to define it.

The translation for ship is a hard one (until I check the book Happy ) because it's not something that REALLY exists all that much (at the time of the team writing the rules and some words of Khazalid). But there are words for them! Dreadfleet likely has a mention as well - Grimnir's Thunder is the kind of ship that gets mentioned in The Great Betrayal anyway.

Definitely worth getting The Great Betrayal. We get mentioned on page 61, it has useful terms and a glossary, but ultimately is a good read about Dwarfs.

WarplockMonkey Wrote:

03-23-2014 01:42 AM
GeofreyShank
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 24

RE: The Khaozalid Dictionairy ProjectGeofreyShank 04-10-2014

I have found a pretty major issue with the conversion of the dark toungue into khazalid. Changing the soft S to a hard Z renders the native name Astrogoth unpronounceable. This may well mean that the language of the dawi zharr contains a mixture of the sounds of the dark toungue and khazalid. Which brings forward the question is there any other known chaos dwarf words with the sounds of the dark toungue.

Thoughts gentlemen?

04-10-2014 07:35 AM
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

RE: The Khaozalid Dictionairy ProjectMadHatter 04-10-2014

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
The problem with hate is that it is a concept and Khazalid struggles to define them (as it does emotions). You will likely find that it will be something they despise (grobi or urks, maybe elgi) with a suffix to define it.

The translation for ship is a hard one (until I check the book Happy ) because it's not something that REALLY exists all that much (at the time of the team writing the rules and some words of Khazalid). But there are words for them! Dreadfleet likely has a mention as well - Grimnir's Thunder is the kind of ship that gets mentioned in The Great Betrayal anyway.

Definitely worth getting The Great Betrayal. We get mentioned on page 61, it has useful terms and a glossary, but ultimately is a good read about Dwarfs.

Perhaps 'hate' could be replaced with 'black', 'dark' or something then. What do you think?

Also I have been awefully busy for a while, alot of work, family and whatnot. I'm still here and it's still "on" though haha! Just to let you know Happy

BAD BATTLEREPORTS
04-10-2014 12:49 PM
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

GeofreyShank Wrote:
I have found a pretty major issue with the conversion of the dark toungue into khazalid. Changing the soft S to a hard Z renders the native name Astrogoth unpronounceable. This may well mean that the language of the dawi zharr contains a mixture of the sounds of the dark toungue and khazalid. Which brings forward the question is there any other known chaos dwarf words with the sounds of the dark toungue.

Thoughts gentlemen?

Hello Geofrey!

This is true (also we should add an entry of CD names from the lore...), in correspondence with Priestley he is very clear that the Chaos Dwarf language is a dialect of Khazalid so, in my opinion, we have to assume that the new and colloquial words from forgeworld and later writers are indeed from the dark tongue to not get a rift between old and new lore as that would most likely lead to parallell universes and civil war Wink

It's a good point, perhaps we would need grammatic rules on where to use S and where to use Z then, we would need to look to Khazalid again for this I guess.

I would really like to hear HB's opinion on this aswell!

BAD BATTLEREPORTS
04-10-2014 12:59 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Slaves: 1337
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Khaozalid Dictionairy Projectcornixt 04-10-2014

It's inevitable to encounter problems like this when trying to to fit previously made-up stuff to a new set of rules. Fudging the rules is always allowed in language!

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.
There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

04-10-2014 01:44 PM
MadHatter
Zharr-Naggrund Fancyhat

cornixt Wrote:
It's inevitable to encounter problems like this when trying to to fit previously made-up stuff to a new set of rules. Fudging the rules is always allowed in language!

True words!

Anyhow, GeofreyShank presents a valid point indeed (good thing he found it before I had the time to start raving through the dictionary also haha) I spent my night here looking at it and found Khazalid words can both start or include S's however (with a few exceptions) the S's are then followed by either a K or a T. It's 04:30 in the morning here now but ill try to get the "Dwarfifying the DToC" section of the main post updated tomorrow afternoon!

Takes Hat off

BAD BATTLEREPORTS

This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 10:34 PM by MadHatter.

04-10-2014 10:27 PM
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites