Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
2 Votes - 4 Average   Malorndk's Army Blog
Author MessageMalorndk's Army Blog
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 1154
Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsMalorndk 01-28-2016

Thanks guys. I'm in it for the long run, even if I will get distracted by sideprojects all the time.

Todays post will be in the fluff/rules section, and again it wont feature pictures of nice miniatures (sorry), but instead focus on a homemade Special Character, that allows me to make Lore of Undeath (LOU) more worthwhile. As he will be undead himself, and LOU allows me to summon undead characters, my gaming group had to decide a house rule to deal with lackluster rules from the Basic Rule Book about undead characters joining living units. The rules allow this, but doesn't explain how it works during breaktests. We decided to go with the following house rule:

New House Rule Wrote:
If one or more models with the Undead special rule are present in a unit without the Undead special rule, these models don't crumble when combat is lost. The unit doesn't become Unbreakable however, but takes break tests as normal, when combat is lost. If the unit breaks from combat, all models in the unit, with the Undead special rule is immediately removed from the table and counts as casualties.

The special character is based on Ravenswood model Bezhukk the Immortal, since I have the miniature, love it, but doesn't have a reason to paint him game wise. I have that now, and will soon make him purplish/pale skinned, with milky eyes, to represent his undead state. Since I won't fringe Ravenswoods copyright, I have called him Zhuul the Forsaken instead, although Bezhukk the Immortal is a better fit fluff wise and sounds way cooler.

His game mechanics is really straight forward: Reduced stats, Reduced special rules (RIP Engineer and Darkforged weapon), and his only defense is his Blackshard Armor, so T5 W3 with no wardsave. On the plus side he has an arcane item which greatly reduces the death potential from miss casts and a versatile special rule making the Lore attribute from LOU worth 30 points instead of 10. These are what makes him worth his point cost, and makes LOU an acceptable lore up until around 3000-3500 points. Lastly he has a gimmicky one use only magic weapon. Feedback is well received, both on the fluff and his rules. You can skip the fluff if you are not into poorly written invented stuff Wink

Zhuul the Forsaken
Liche Priest of Hashut

In ancient times one of the Dawi Zharrs' most skilled Shadowmancers and Illusionists; Zhuul, decided to leave his clan and embark on an adventure to achieve knowledge. He would travel through the lands, disguised as the local races due to his illusions, and learn about their culture, magic, warfare and weaknesses, so the Council of Hashut could take informed decisions on where to raid for their slaves. Zhuul was a solitary Chaos Dwarf, he enjoyed being undisturbed, as he was often deep in thought and theories of complicated magics. After two decades on the road, he found himself in the northeastern city of Khemri; Beautiful Lahmia. Disguised as a young but powerful human male, Zhuul joined the Mortuary Cult, and bluffed his way through the initiation rituals, designed to test his knowledge of the Khemrian faith and an affinity for the arcane arts. Through centuries of study, guidance and practice, Zhuul were able to learn the secrets and rituals of the Mortuary Cult, which allowed him to achieve immortality. Zhuul served the local aristocracy of Lahmia for generations, but when King Khetep was murdered by his son Nagash, rumours of great evils began to spread all the way to Lahmia. Zhuul decided not to take any chances, and made himself disappear from Lahmia in as unnoted fashion as possible.

Having transformed into the state of a liche, Zhuul now had eternity to perfect his magic, knowledge and wisdom. The following years, Zhuul began to collect an immense collection of magical artefacts, from different cultures, but this restricted his freedom to stay in the vicinity of his hidden treasury, guarded be strong illusions in the World Edge Mountains. Zhuul loved his artefacts, but hated carrying them around, so he sought knowledge of how one could carry half an armory without compromising the practicality of traveling. He soon heard rumors, that a sultan of Araby had a small enchanted chest, which could carry everything inside of it, without gaining weight. Zhuul set a plan in motion, and before the next full moon, he had stolen the chest and made his way back to his treasury without being discovered. Zhuul made a crucial mistake the following day. He didn’t test the chests actual abilities, but trusted the rumors he had gathered. Zhuul began to stash his treasures in the seemingly bottomless chest and too late did he discover, that he hadn’t tested how to retrieve his artefacts from the chest after having stashed two thirds of his entire collection. No matter which incantations he used or how far he reached into the chest, no items were in reach. Desperate to fix his first mistake, Zhuul made an even graver mistake, which would cost him dearly. He stuck his face into the chest, trying to visualize its magic.

Time, reason and rationality ceased to exist. Zhuuls levitating face stared into the Realm of Chaos from his tiny portal in the chest. After a mere moment of absolute confusion, Zhuul pulled himself back from the chest an fell to the cold stone floor of his hidden treasury. Zhuul realized his treasures were gone forever, but he didn’t yet fathom the consequences of his mistake. The few seconds Zhuul had spent submerged in the Realm of Chaos, the Old World had experienced millennia’s pass. Only Zhuuls liche ritual had kept him alive. As Zhuul observed his surroundings, it became clear to him, that the world had changed and a lot of time must have passed. He was stranded in a different world, without must of his treasure and with outdated knowledge of the cultures and people of the Old World. Zhuul had to go back on his adventure to gather wisdom and achieve treasures and power, but not before finding a use of the magical chest that had cost him so dearly. With a transportable portal to another realm, Zhuul couldn’t store anything in the chest, but he did suddenly have a way to dispose of stuff he didn’t need. The chest was too small to force people through, but Zhuul had more devious uses in mind. Often a wizard would lose control of the fickle nature of the Arcane Arts, resulting in devastating explosions and dangerous hazards for the Wizard and those closes to him. This was caused by harnessing too much power to channel into the spellcasting, and the exceeding power then chose the outlet of exploding in the wizards face. With the chest, Zhuul realized, he could redirect some of the excess energy from an irresistible spellcasting into the Realm of Chaos, and thus reduce the risk to his own being. In the end this possibility proved more usefull, than the combined attributes of Zhuuls lost artefacts.

Zhuul returned to the road, and spent a generation as a schoolar in Middenheim, still shrouded by his illusions. This gave him an understanding of the current world, its history and the raw power of the various races in the Old World. One of the biggest world events that Zhuul had just barely missed was the Great Awakening spell that Nagash had cast over all of Khemri, before perishing for the first time. This became Zhuuls favorite subject, as it illustrated the devastating and all powerful might of wizardry in the hands of a capable, wise and ambitious wizard. Zhuul became set on learning about Nagash and his methods of achieving power, but the lackluster collections of lore in the Empire all came short. Zhuuls only clue, was to visit Naggashizzar and look for leftover tomes or scrolls, preferable all Nagashs nine books. Naggashizzar were a gargantuan complex of barracks, crypts and treasuries, hidden behind impressive fortifications of twisted bone. Though Nagash were long gone, the place was infested with the undead, standing guard through eternity for their lost master. Its location wasn’t that hard to learn, but the penetration of Naggashizzars defences had never worked for any living man. Zhuul however, were neither living, nor man. The undead Dawi Zharr arrived to Naggashizzar on steeds of shadows, clouded by illusions, and protected by layers upon layers of shields and wards against arcane and physical attacks and traps. No sound could escape Zhuuls bubble of protection, so he was able to renew his protective spells during his attempt to sneak in and out of Naggashizzar without being discovered.

Zhuul was in way over his hat. Before finding a single of Nagashs books, Zhuuls magical powers were nearly depleted, by keeping his defenses up and his presence unknown. He was no match against Nagashs sealed traps, and he realized he had to get out before he would end his days in this unholy place. Zhuul grapped an unmarked scroll and an ornamented axe on his way out, before he retreated on a summoned shadowsteed. While the axe proved somewhat irrelevant, the ancient scroll held great secrets. It was a draft for at compressive series of chapters to the eight book of Nagash, which revolved around summonings, the spirit world and the finer theories around the workings of the Wind of Shyish. Zhuul didn’t realize all of this at once, since it was heavily encrypted, mostly just pinpoints and suggested wordings, and indecipherable notes all over the scrolls 164 pages. Zhuul did however realize the autencity and potential power the scrolls secrets held for him, and without a second thought he began the slow, frustrating and meticulous process of making sense of the scroll, that more than anything else would define his life.

Zhuul didn’t need sleep or food. He didn’t need exercise or company. He devoted his entire being to break the encryptions and gain the knowledge hidden in the scroll. He knew next to nothing about necromancy, but he did spent a long time in the Mortuary Cult around the time of Nagash’s ascension to power, so he did connect some points, words and references, that would be invisible to citizens of the current millennia. Zhuul studies for years on end with slim result, and only occasional, minor breakthroughs. Over a millennium, he exchanged his adventurous spirit, his skills in battle and his mastery over Shadows and illusion for the scrolls secret. He erased and forgot memories and knowledge that defined him, in order to truly grasp the thought and methods of the Great Necromancer through his writings. When Zhuul finally got a grasp on the Wind of Shyish he was devastated to realize, that the Wind of Death was weakened and restricted by some forces that hadn’t affected Nagash. Zhuuls summonings are weak and mostly useless, but his entire undead being was intent on perfecting his grasp on the arcane arts. He trained religiously, experimented and tested the constraints of his limits. The scroll focused on the Realm of Spirits and how to summon the restless souls from Morr’s and Usirian’s grasp and binds them to objects or give them physical form.

No matter what Zhuul did, he couldn’t grasp the ultimate power, hovering just beyond reach, bound by the weakened Wind of Shyish. That changed when Nagash returned to power, resurrected by Arkhan the Black. Nagashs first deed was to wrestle the Wind of Shyish free from the Great Vortex, that Caledor Dragontamer had constructed during the Sundering to use the Winds of Magic as a stabilizer for the whole world to reduce the daemonic Chaos incursion. Zhuuls power exploded from one moment to the next. Centuries of hard work and studying payed off, as Zhuuls experience, understanding and skill suddenly allowed him to muster a whole army, with fearsome beasts, sentient vampires and screaming banshees. All obeyed his command with no chance of traitorous mutiny. For the first time in forever, Zhuul had reached the power he craved, but in doing so, he had lost not only his abilities as a shadowmancer and warrior, but his plans, goals and dreams had turned to dust and rusted away from his undead mind through the years of solitary isolation. His only remaining desire was to use his newfound power to destroy enemies in grand battles, and bring honour to his Dawi Zharr legacy. Zhuul returned to the capitol of his kin, the mighty ziggurat of Zharr-Naggrund atop a summoned Terrorgheist.

Astragoth Ironhand – High Priest of Hashut acknowledged Zhuul as an ancient member of the race, but his unholy powers had to be proven as a gift from Hashut to aid the Dawi Zharr in conquest, if Astragoth was to aloe Zhuul’s return amongst his kin. Zhuul took up the challenge to prove his powers worth to Hashut, and requested a small collaboration with Zharr-Naggrunds best Daemonsmiths and artificers, along with an imprudent amount of sacrificial slaves. Astragoth was intrigued, and accepted the deal, not knowing exactly what Zhuul would do to win his favor. Before the years end, Zhuuls project had succeded. Through millennia, many a sorcerer had succumbed to the petrification that the Dawi Zharr suffered from when harnessing the Winds of Magic. Slowly turning to stone was a cruel fate, but if a chaos dwarf had the arcane prowess to cast magic, society expected him to use it in spite of the sorcerer’s curse. Through millennia, many of the mightiest (or most reckless) of the Dawi Zharr Sorcerers, Daemonsmiths and Prophets had ended their lives entombed in their own granite husk on the battlefield or during a ritual. These martyrs had been placed on pedestals in the Hall of the Ancestors below the temple of Hashut. Ending up on one of these brought great honors to the wizard’s legacy and brought his clan or brotherhood benefits from the higher hierarchy for a generation forward. Zhuul’s ritual summoned the souls of the forefathers, and animated their petrified statues in the Hall of the Ancestors. The mightiest Prophets and leaders of proud history of the Dawi-Zharr had come to life again, and not as mindless puppets, but sentient, skilled and ancient beings. Zhuul’s ritual resembled the Great Awakening spells of the Mortuary Cult far more, than normal, mindless necromancy.

Astragoth was impressed, which rarely happened, and he backed Zhuuls ascension to a seat in the Council of Hashut, while honoring his wish to test his skills in battle. The Ancestors regained their wits, strength, magic and stubbornness, though their petrified limbs only moved by the power of Zhuuls ritual. They saw the thriving empire that their descendants had built and the wise ruler in Astragoth. Most of the Ancestors decided to band together in small elite regiments, where their old blood oaths, clan traditions and sworn brotherhoods dictated how the groupings proceeded. Old crumbled armors and unenchanted, rusted blades were replaced with Zharr-Naggrunds finest arsenal of blackshard armor and ensorcelled hand weapons. The current rulers of the many bloodlines that featured amongst the Ancestors decided to open their treasuries to further equip their own forefathers, whose wealth and greediness had secured the bloodlines current status in society. The end result was a devastating elite regiment, of veteran warriors and spell casters with petrified flesh, equipped in the holiest, most powerful regalia that the ruling bloodlines of Zharr-Naggrund could muster. They carried generations of experience, strategy and tactica, and would never yield ground to the enemies. Astragoth Ironhand was sure he would bring glory to Hashut with his new discovered elite troops and his new protégé, the highly talented, but yet untested commander; Zhuul the Forsaken – Liche Priest of Hashut.

Army blog - Army Showcase - Project Banners - Legendary Battle
01-28-2016 07:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsMalorndk 04-09-2016

Zhuul the Forsaken - Finished paint and Golden Hat XXIV Entry

I have finished painting Zhuul, entered him into CDO's Golden Hat XXIV but didn't win anything (Which is quite fine considering the competition!). It was my first time participating, and it was fun. But I'm a VERY slow painter when it comes to Chaos Dwarfs, as my color scheme is so varied, flashy and requires quite a lot of layers. The only reason i managed to finish an entry this time, is because I have to use Zhuul on the fields of battle tomorrow! (#thehypeisreal)

First things first: That base...
Ok so all my army is on resin bases from Microarts studios. And thats quite some details. But Ravenswood miniature is in as broad a pose a Chaos Dwarf can strike, while still looking awesome. So I went to work with Pollyfilla, but I'm pretty limited in my experience still. So I spent some hours trying to get a leveled spike out of the side of my base, which appeared solid enough to survive transport. My plan is simple. Stick him on left corner of my bunker, and never let him leave that spot. The spike will reach over my movement tray, so I shouldn't have a problem.

The skin tone is pretty badly captured by the camera (Had to use my phone). It's Kommando Khaki (thinned with lahmian Medium) with a watered down Druchii Violet Wash. In real life it looks like semi rotting flesh. Kinda Ghoul like. This makes him stand out and ties him to his fluff and story (See previous post).
He also has some purpleish armour plates, gauntlets, and his upper hat decoration, which mimics GWs paint on Nagashs armour. Again: Fluff tie.

Not much else to say about him. Great details from Ravenswood. A joy to paint. And a bloody chest on his back! Super cool miniature.

I'll update again shortly with some Lore of Undeath experience under my belt. Thanks for all the votes! <3

04-09-2016 01:19 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1715
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsAbecedar 04-09-2016

You can see the amount of attention you've given him.  Lovely work.  The blue and gold isn't my cup-o-tea.  
Is the blue darker in real life? because I've had problems with that in photos in the GH.

Last Time(s) I Bled for my Hobby  =  Fri 13th March 2020
27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time(s) I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
04-09-2016 04:52 AM
Loidrial
Bull Centaur Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 164
Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsLoidrial 04-09-2016

i really liked your model, always been a fan of this particular piece too. you were in my 3 votes aswell for the contest.
keep up the good work, slow painters for life xD

Pizza, Mandolino e Nani del Chaos
Off Topic Blog

04-09-2016 05:44 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 593
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsAdmiral 04-09-2016

Very nice to see Ravenswood's model painted in such garishly cheerful colours. Something out of the ordinary, and well painted too. Zhuul will be a good leader in your army. Cheers!

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
04-09-2016 10:00 AM
Darkmeer
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 116

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsDarkmeer 04-09-2016

Excellent work on Bezhukk-err  Zhuul.  Great work on him (and the rest of your army!).

04-09-2016 11:34 AM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsMalorndk 04-11-2016

Thanks for the feedback guys! <3

@Abecedar: The blue is captured pretty good by the camera, so I would say it represents real life pretty well.

Going from theory to experience - Lore of Undeath; part 1

I have thought long and hard about the usages that Chaos Dwarfs have from the Lore of Undeath (LOU), before I invested the $450 in models, paints, trays, magnets and transpotable storing. I had all these dreams about cheeky stuff I could accomplish, but theory is often far from reality. Yesterday, I had the chance to try it out for the first time, and as I play more over the years, I will make some more reflections as I learn along the way.

Game 1 with LOU
Armies: End Times Khaine Elves (Host of the Eternity King) with Malekith; Incarnate of Shadows vs Chaos Dwarfs with Zhuul the Forsaken -2500
Elves had: Malekith, 3 blocks of infantry, Hydra, Treeman
I had: 1 Hobounit, 30 Fireglaives inc. Castellan and Khan, Deathstar: 39 Ironsworn, with Zhuul, BSB and 8 Khans.
Strategy: Hug the backline of the board, believe in your opponents overconfidence with Malekith, so that he makes mistakes. Kill the nearly unkillable Malekith, and preserve the rest of your points.
Expectations and strategy with LOU: Necrotect will give my deathstar hatred. Consider a necromancer with a dispel scroll to stop the Mind Razor. The rest should go into Hexwraiths, Banshees and Terrorgheist, as they all have a chance to wound Malekith.
What did I end up actually summoning?: 1 Necrotect (Turn 1), 2 Spirit Hosts (Turn 3), 1 Terrorgheist (Turn 4), 1 Banshee (Turn 5).
How did they perform? The Necrotect was irrelevant, the Terrorgheist lived through 1 shootingphase, but managed an impressive scream on Malekith, taking 6 of his 10 wounds! The Spirit Hosts went of, protecting my deathstars flank, holding an infantry unit, allowing my death star to countercharge, an then they broke the Stubborn Ld9 Treeman in one round, ran him down, and killed a boltthrower last turn. The Spirit Host shouldn't have ever been this good, but my opponent played overconfident to the extreme levels, and then he had some bad dice. The Banshee was summoned, because Malekith alone had killed 26 Fireglaives inc. 3 challenges (Champion, Khan and Castellan), he had just pursued off my table edge, ready to return next turn. I had the hydra in my rear, so I summoned a Banshee to block its charge, and maybe wound it. Another wonderfull scream killed the hydra in one go, as it was only Ld6 without Malekith.
Final result: I won with 219 victory points, which we labelled a draw, but it felt like a victory. I killed Malekith (1000pts, Lv5 Loremaster, 10wounds, 3+, 2++(vs mundane), immune to Heroic Killing Blow, and Multiple Wounds) with Chaos Dwarfs, so I'm pretty psyched about that.
Rate LOU: I summoned less units than expected, but the versatility of the lore was excellent, and the units summoned REALLY delivered this game. And a Terrorgheist on the board fells so much better than most other spells, inc. a big Purple Sun. To have a lore in a miniature game, which allows me to access many new miniatures, place them favorably, and the play to their strength feels so right for me. I rate it 8/10!

Pictures will come up over the week, including my brothers Nagash (which took him 11 months to paint), vs Settra and all the Tomb Kings, of which I speed painted one third in 2015. The tried making the Humbling of Settra from End Times Nagash a playable scenario, but a light council will always kill Nagash in turn 1 or 2, so the switched to the Battle of Ruined Lahmia, with High Queen Khalida vs Neferata, the Mortarch of Blood.

This post was last modified: 04-27-2016 02:02 PM by Malorndk.

04-11-2016 05:49 AM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsMalorndk 04-11-2016

And now... For something completely different (while we wait for the pictures of yesterdays games)

Got a package:

"What is that?" You might say?

This ladies and gentlemen, is FAQ stickers Big Grin

Stick them in your rulebook or army book (Don't use the little Island of Blood book - Not enough margins)

Now, if you are at a turnament, or playing with friends, you can just look up a rule in your book, and check the margin for eventual FAQs and rewordings, relevant to that specific page of rules.

Most of the time, the stickers won't interfere with pictures, but sometimes you have to sacrifice art for practicallity.

I ordered stickers for my entire gaming group. I payed some $, spent 2 hours sticking them in my BRB, and it has already been useful for me, and gives a lot of clarity to the rules. I can warmly recommend it for 8th ed players. It's a quality of life upgrade. A Rulebook FAQ costs $12 and an army book FAQ costs $5 (approximitely). You can order them HERE.

...And back to waiting for pictures of yesterdays games Wink

This post was last modified: 04-11-2016 08:00 AM by Malorndk.

04-11-2016 07:33 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsFuggit Khan 04-11-2016

Malorndk Wrote:

Really really nice...the amount of detail and love that you painted on the ax is incredible. The whole model is a joy to behold, but the ax! Wow! Super cool Cheers!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
04-11-2016 03:09 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsMalorndk 04-27-2016

Campaign Pictures

Hey guys. My small gaming group have finished our small End Times campaign (6 dates, with 2 tables each). On one table, Team Undead has tried to reawaken Nagash by collecting his artefacts, and later tried to straighten the ward against chaos, while Nagash crushes Nehekhara. On the other table, Chaos has tried to break the Dark Elves in Naggaroth, the empire and Archaon even tried to retake his title as most powerful in the world against Grimgor who crushed him in a parallel dimension (Storm of Chaos - GW 2007).

These has been narrative battles, without the competitive focus, and with a ton of house rules and scenario rules. Each time Team Undead or Team Chaos won a battle, they would get a reward, which transfers to the last showdown - a legendary battle that we haven't played yet, but it'll be Nagash and his mortarch vs Archaons horde with Drazhoaths alliance. 12000 points on each side.

Disclaimer: This won't be battle reports, but primarily close up shots of cool units. 4-6 pictures per game. I'll write some comments to some of the pictures, but I'll keep it short on the text.

This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 01:51 AM by Malorndk.

04-27-2016 03:20 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Round One - Team Undead

Arkhan the Black partners up with Heinrich Kemmler and Krell. They try to get their hands on Nagashs Staff, which is guarded in the brettonian chapel La Maisontall, and guarded by Duke Theodoric.

5th Ed. Arkhan the Black which I painted for the battle.

Arkhan only survived the battle due to two Knight units both failing their feartest on their charge xD

But the undead prevailed. Krell and Kemmler enters La Maisontall

Round One - Team Chaos
Valkias Khorne Host has entered Northern Naggaroth. They are rumored to have captored the Witch Kings mother Morathi. Malekith sends Malus Darkblade with a swift army to retrieve his mother, but as the armies approach, Malus discovers, that the prisoner has tried to escape through magic, resulting in a terrible misscast which creates a pulsing vortex that banishes daemons. Malus attacks at once, but is utterly crushed by Valkias Khorne Host.

Valkia

Part of her host, with the failed ritual behind them

Valkias unit

There were a lot of sun on the table, which ruined all good pictures of the Dark Elves.

04-27-2016 03:21 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Round 2 - Team Undead
Mannfred von Carstein and Arkhan the Black would assault the Heldenhame in the Empire to retrieve Nagashs black armour Morikhane, but Heldenhame had been sacked. They followed the tracks through the Dark Lands to the Tower of Gorgoth, where Arkhan summons and assault force to lock up the slave units, while Mannfred bypass the outer wall with the ethereal and flying units, to get to the treasure vault faster. Unfortunately, the Dawi Zharr was prepared inside the wall as well as outside.

Arkhan assualts the slave units, and steal the attention of the war machines on the wall.

Obviously, the wall is WIP. I tried to commit to the artisan contest about terrain, but I couldn't finish the bulwark, banners and details on time, even though it's a simple design Wink

On the inside, Mannfred leads the etheral and the flyers

5th ed. Red Duke on 5th ed. Zombie Dragon can easily be Mannfred on a dread abyssal <3

The trusted bullspawns delievered this game. They went full ham, and crushed the weak undeath.

04-27-2016 03:37 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Round 2 - Team Chaos

Archaon wanted revenge against Grimgor, who had humiliated in the eyes of the gods (in a parallel timeline from the Storm of Chaos campaing). Archaon found Grimgors encampment with an effigy of Gork (or possibly Mork?) in the northen forests west  of the spine. The armies where huge, but the ork had some pretty insane scenario rules, that I would have nerfed in retrospect.

The orc army is actually my first warhammer army, painted with my brother, primarily from 1995 to 2001. And yeah... we like Boar Boyz Cheers!

The Lord of Change - in white! It looks pretty ae if you ask me. Both my brother and his high school mate Dennis (who painted this) are better overall with a brush. I love to have something beautiful to kill. Grey vs grey would break my soul Tongue

Archaon ended in a challenge with Grimgor... and lost (Grimgors ward save was basicly a yatzy in 5s) Shock

I have 3 more rounds to do, but I'll hit the bed now. Fell free to give me some feedback.

04-27-2016 03:51 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsFuggit Khan 04-27-2016

What great pics, thank you so much for sharing them with us Happy
Lots of nice armies, great characters, beautiful bright color themes and cool boards...what's not to love?
And what a super cool unit of Boar Riders, impressive unit!
Kudo's for the cool gray playing board (and what is that giant wall made of?)

Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
04-27-2016 05:55 PM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 714
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsSkink 04-27-2016

Thank you for posting this Malordnk! The look of all those models entwined in epic battles is reeeeeeally a beautiful sight to behold Takes Hat off

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
04-27-2016 06:40 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsMalorndk 04-28-2016

@Skink: Glad you like it Happy

@Fuggit: I'm not really experienced in terrain building yet, but right now my go-to strategy is to start with a wooden base, some polystyrene as skeleton (I'm using wood glue) and then sculpt with polyfilla/filler/spacling paste. The wall was made exactly this way. A long flat wooden base, with 2 long polystyrene pieces glued to the base. Afterwards i cut up a lot of quality cardboard (like the laptop cases from the manufacturer) and glued them on top of the polystyrene walls, covering the hollow space between the walls. Cardboard on the sides as well. Now I had a hollow, wobbly wall, so I covered everything in a thin layer of polyfilla, and sculpted the texture of everything. This wasn't a well planned, exact execution, but rather me ignore the fear of failure, and just doing me best in a frenzy of getting the texture decent before the polyfilla dried out. The end result isn't extraordinaire by most standards, but I managed to do what I had imagined, so I'm pretty stoked about that. The doorway is my first experience with plasticard, which also will make up the bullwark which I still hasn't gotten around to do.

Round 3
Between the second and third round, Nagash were awakened by Arkhan. Nagash ripped the wind of Shyish out of Caledor Dragontamers Great Vortex, and bound it to himself and the land of Sylvania itself. All over the world, the dead rose, and wizards tapped into unexpected magic with the lore of undeath. Nagash then appointed his 9 Mortarchs, one of which is the newly revived Vlad von Carstein. Nagash then traveled south to regain his powers from the Black Pyramid in Khemri. 3 Mortarchs stayed north to help the Empire stall the chaos invasion: Walach Harkon, Vlad von Carstein and Drachenfels (In a malicious spirit form). While Walach gets corrupted by chaos and Drachenfels just want to torture anything, Vlad makes huge diplomatic work to ally with the Empire (who have lost Karl Franz for the time being) and secretly takes Balthazar Gelt as his apprentice and gets appointed to elector count due to his aid.

The third round was only a single fight. Archaon has launched the Glottkin to break the borders of the empire. Kislev has fallen, and Balthazar Gelts Auric Bastion has flaws, and sometimes the magic fails and chaos stumples through. None of us have an Empire army, so the empire is defended by the unlikely alliance between High Paladin Louen Leoncours brettonians and the new Elector Count; Vlad von Carstein, with his undead troops.

The Glottkin (who still lacked his smaller brothers on his back at this point)

Elector Count Vlad von Carstein

The "new" dragon ogres are pretty cool models if you ask me.

5th Ed. Chaos Knights <3

04-28-2016 03:53 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsMalorndk 04-28-2016

Round 4 - Team Undead
Neferata is traveling through the Black Spine in the World Edge Mountains, seeking and old treasury, shrouded in illusions. Neferata never tried to bring Nagash back, so she has to get him treasures of arcane powers, so that Nagash can drain their magic to regain power. Neferatas force drives hapless greenskins out of their caves, and over the weeks these fleeing greenskins amasses a huge amount of bodies. A greedy night goblin rallies the greenskins, and in the wide Skull Chasm, they lay in ambush!

I painted Neferata on dread abyssal, with combined profile and killer stats.

But she is only level 3, and the goblins brought the Hex scroll from BRB. On turn 1, first spell, Neferata got turned into a frog (We only had a troll Wink ) The goblins killed her in their turn 1 with warmachines and magic, which snowballed the game in the goblins favor in a manor I have never before seen.

The goblins charge in

And the Arachnarok Spider wipes 27 ghouls in one round of combat, with insane attacks, 6 thunderstomps and 13 crumbles.

Neferatas old Lahmian Guard doesn't understand what is going on. They have served Neferata for centuries, but this was something new and really  ridiculous.

Round 4 - Team Chaos
At the site of the Auric Bastion, High Paladin Louen Leoncour fights a Tzeentch host.
The scenario special rules dictated the game, but the players still had a lot of fun.

I won't share much due the brettonians having horrible movement trays and unpainted bases, but the models are actually acceptable in the painting, but gets a little ruined by the lack of finishing touches on bases...

I'll hit the bed now, but I have good stuff for round 5 and 6 soon. Cheers.

This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 02:03 AM by Malorndk.

04-28-2016 03:54 PM
Helblindi
Bull Centaur

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 245
Scribe's Contest Gold Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsHelblindi 04-28-2016

Thanks for typing this all up. It's a fun read, especially inspiring as I'm considering my own campaign for the near future.

Helblindi's Throng: Karak Brothar
My Evil Throng: Helblindi's Legion
My Blood Bowl stuff
04-28-2016 05:05 PM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 620
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsJackswift 04-29-2016

The battle reports and pics are great.  Makes me want to get more painted and build more terrain to battle my CDs across the tablescape.  Interesting to hear how they are working out using the Lore of Undeath as well.

And finally, nice paint job on the Zhuul.  Will he eventually find the "Keymaster"?  An interesting and well done solution to the Ax haft hanging off the base.  Cheers, JR

04-29-2016 03:00 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsMalorndk 04-29-2016

@Helblindi: Thanks. I can warmly recommend starting a narrative campaign.
Pros: My gaming group has become more engaged, less aggressive about rules and more engaged in the fun that the game can be. It's far more enjoyable to be massacred in a narrative, than in a "balanced" pitched battle. Your loss become a fun happening in the story. It's an awesome place to try house rules, new scenarios, home made special rules, and fun ideas
Cons: Someone have to be the game master (I was for my group). Being game master is awesome, but a lot of work. It will take a lot of your time to make sure everyone have both story, scenario and house rules in advance. You'll also have to make sure that terrain and game boards are ready. I ended up making quite a lot of terrain.
Tips: Read the later part of the BRB. It's actually quite amazing, and you probably haven't read it more than once or twice. Be inspired, steal or stick to/from some of the existing scenarios. We have played 7 of the Nagash scenarios, and only one sucked (See Round 6 - Team Undead). When choosing scenarios, make some simplified deployment rules (fx blind deployment) to speed up your game time. Select scenarios that is still trying to be a game of warhammer. Try not to make scenarios like "the 7 dwarf lords vs 2000 pts of goblin infantry." That ends up somewhat weird and unfulfilling.

@Jackswift: Thanks man. Love your blog btw. Happy

Round 5 - Team Undead
Nagash has attacked Settras Kingdom. 6 Mortarchs are on the warpath. To the west (near the coast of Nehekhara) Mannfred combines forces with the Luthor Harkon, a vampiric pirate who has gathered tons of treasure in Lustria, who arrives with a shambling fleet. Krell is pushing a large horde slowly through Nehekhara, directly from north towards south. Krell is supported by Dieter Hellsnicht, a crazed necromancer who has a split personality and argues with himself. Arkhan has hidden his presence and is assumed to be together with Nagash. Nagash has summoned the clouds of darkness that normally shields Sylvania. Vampires can now walk freely under the sun in Nehekhara. The sixth mortarch present is Neferata. She has been punished for her humiliating lost against some random greenskins, and is set as bait in the ruins of ancient Lahmia, where she once ruled. The bait is working, as the  nearby cities blames Neferata for their undead malediction. High Queen Khalida and the king of Mahrak joins forces against Neferata in the ruinsof ancient Lahmia.

Undead vs Undead admist the old ruins in the dessert is quite a sight to behold.

Neferata seeks her old rival: High Queen Khalida

Khalida is nestled admist a horde of spear wielding skeletons and undead constructs, but only due to fance deployment rules, that but her archer horde in reserve. She wasn't happy about that!

The Necromancer summons zombies to occupy the old rubble for extra scenario points.

The newly painted Necro-Knights are doing a great job.

The game ended in a draw, and both players was really ecstatic about the experience with the dessert table with ruins. Felt good!

This post was last modified: 04-29-2016 04:05 PM by Malorndk.

04-29-2016 04:02 PM
Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Malorndk's Army Showcase Malorndk 19 15,419 04-27-2017 02:48 PM
Last Post: Cloister
  BR's Army Blog Border Reiver 110 54,261 01-10-2012 11:46 AM
Last Post: Castellan
  The House Blackhand army - Ravens army blog? The Raven 5 7,846 09-09-2008 04:12 AM
Last Post: puppet gathering
  gIL^'s army blog gIL^ 2 2,827 02-02-2008 03:08 PM
Last Post: minty

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites