Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (8): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6 [DONE]
Author Message14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6 [DONE]
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1559
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: 14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6tjub 12-23-2016

Great to see the terrain getting some love! Nice battle rep as well... Happy

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

12-23-2016 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 1154
Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: 14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6Malorndk 12-23-2016

Team Chaos – Turn 6

Desert board

Team Chaos held a strong frontline on the desert board. This a sign of how completely out deployed we had actually been, when all these units (approximately 3700 points) had killed less than 2000 points. At least they had not surrendered many points either. Mannfred von Carstein had hidden outside of the Glottkins spell range, but the zombie unit occupying the Arcane Ruins were in range. In the magic phase we got of the Nurgle spell combo on the zombies. Curse of the Leper (-D3 Toughness) followed by the magic missile Rancid Visitation (D6 S5 hits –> Unit takes a toughness test, if failed: D6 S5 hits -> rinse and repeat). The zombies were reduced to toughness 1 so Rancid Visitation reapllied many times and killed them all. Meanwhile the K’daii Destroyer had finally reached combat against the Skeletons (after failing its Burning Bright test and loosing 3 wounds).

The K’daii Destroyer went berserk on the damned bones. It destroyed enough Skeletons, so that the crumble would clear the rest. Getting points from the Skeletons and the Zombies was decent, but this also meant Team Undead would not get Scenario Points from neither the Arcane Ruin nor the Effigy of Usekph. Add all of this combined was 725 points difference. That is definitely something!

In the shooting phase, our last operational warmachine, the Red Rumbler, shot yet another Mortar shell. This beautiful machine had one shot the War Spynx in turn 4, multi killed High Queen Khalida and 3 Banshees in turn 5 and now it aimed at Mannfred von Carstein. Hit! Dead! 650 points <3
As bad as our artillery had been in turn 1-3, it absolutely redeemed itself in the remaining game. Removing monsters, expensive characters and threats had been vital in securing our honour. We were still losing, but it looked so much nicer now. Imagine if the artillery had just been decent in the first turn or two, where we had seven firing warmachines. Arkhan was now flying solo, without aid and friends nearby.

“Where did my army go?” – Arkhan the Black 2525

Sadly, the Ghouls shredded Kodihr the Violent, and as the Herald returned to the Blood Realm he knew Khorne had been a witness to his extraordinaire performance. All in all, we had managed the desert board rather well in the end.

The Rocky Board

Anzar the Deadly and the Pride of the Black Fortress had ranked up last turn, and the 10 Hexwraiths had been reduced to 5 by the last turns Reing of Chaos. With combat resolution and Anzar the Deadly’s Sword of Battle, the 10 summoned Hexwraiths ended up vanquished. They did not yield us any points, but it still felt good. The Infernal Guards held the hill for an additional 200 points!

The only other living model on this board was Zanklai’Otory and Uzroth’kulon atop their Arcane Fulcrum. Together they had survived a close combat round with Nagash himself and 2 Banishment and they had dodged quite a lot of dire situation. Our initial thoughts process was, that we would spirit leach the last Skeleton Archer from Khalida’s Horde, and just avoid miscasts.  Once the magic phase arrived, Khorne sent us a divine sign! The Reign of Chaos did not do much, but in an unlikely happenstance, a single Spirit Host was hit by a mediocre template, which then scattered the maximum 10” on the artillery dice, barely hitting (and killing) the last Skeleton Archer, thus granting us 330 points for the entire unit.

We could not know what the exact score was by now, but it did not matter much if we lost 15-5 or 14-6. Our dice and luck had been superb for hours, so we decided to make another “high risk – high reward” play. Team Chaos had rolled 19 dice to Team Undead’s 12, and even after the Glottkin had spent some, we still had enough left to go hard with Zanklai’Otory, who wielded the Book of Ashur (+1 to cast and dispel) and had the positioning most death wizards can only dream about.

… lacking quality picture, but you get the idea…

Team Undead had not left in every direction in their turn 6, but stood neatly packed around the Mortis Engine. People unfamiliar with the Mortis Engine should know, that killing this makes a huge detonation (12+turn number inches) and every unit (including friendly ones) takes 2D6 hits at the turn numbers strength. If we could kill it, every unit within 18” would take 2D6 S6 hits! We are talking about 2 Vargulfs (one was already half dead), a wounded Hierotitan, a wounded Neferata, a lone Vamipre, a Terrorgheist and the Casket of Souls. It could statistically wreak havoc and cash in a ton of points, but it might also fail. If we could kill the Casket of Souls, a similar explosion would happen (12” D6 S6 hits) which would also hit some juicy targets. We knew it would probably fail, but if we could pull this off it would be a glorious war story!

Uzroth’kulon tried to reduce the Mortis Engines initiative with Miasma to make Purple Sun a threat, but Miasma was dispelled.
We realised that without Nagash’s Inspiring Presence, the Mortis Engine had Ld5. We got Spirit Leach through but sadly only reduced it to 1 wound.
Curse of Lanip got dispelled.
We still had dices enough for the cannonball spell from Lore of Shadows, and Purple Sun. We wanted to secure the Mortis Engine with the cannonball spell, so we saved 5 dice, and used our remaining 4 on Purple Sun to reduce the chance of irresistible. Purple Sun got through!
We aimed it through the Mortis Engine, Hierotitan, duo Vargulfs and Neferata. Sadly, our artillery dice rolled the dreaded misfire… We placed the Purple Sun on the Fulcrum and Zanklai’Otory the Deathsinger failed his initiative test and was consumed…
We should have cast the cannon ball spell first, but everything is clearer in hindsight. Play hard – Die Hard. Zanklai’Otory and Uzroth’kulon will go down in history as “the almost MVP of the Legendary Battle.”

Conclusion
Team Chaos ended their turn 6, and our Legendary Battle was completed. We went straight to calculating victory and scenario points, and while I will not list everything, the end result was way closer than we had anticipated.

Team Undead won with 1372 points, which translate to a 13-7 victory.

Team Chaos had feared humiliation until turn 5, but 13-7 is decent after all. While packing miniatures and terrain we remembered that we had included a rule, that said if a 10-10 was the end result, the Team with a living general would be declared the winner. With Nagash dead we made some estimations on what needed to happen for Team Chaos to achieve the 10-10 and thus the Victory.
IF Zanklai’Otory had not misfired his Purple Sun (16,7% chance) he would need to cash in 428 points on his two spells. The Purple Sun would have reached both Hierotitan (16,7% chance to survive) and the Mortis Engine (50% chance to survive). Even if the Mortis Engine had survived the Purple Sun, we would have gotten the cannonball spell through and killed the Mortis Engine. These two units alone are worth 395 points, so if the Mortis Engine detonation killed either a Vargulf, the lone Vampire, the lone Spirit Host or anything else, we would have won the game <3

Losing this game felt right! Team Undead had played the best I ever saw from either player, and managed to out-deploy, out-magic and out-play our every move for the first 12 hours. Our near comeback involved a fair bit of good dice (aside from making a lot of sound decisions) so losing the game did not feel bad at all!

Army blog - Army Showcase - Project Banners - Legendary Battle
12-23-2016 04:32 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: 14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6Malorndk 12-23-2016

Player Reflections

Thus concluded 23-24 hours of gameplay, with 6 hours of sleep, 2 hours of eating and 4 hours of packing up miniatures and terrain. We had spent 5 hours deploying the Tuesday before the weekend. We had spent months preparing objectives, terrain, rules, armies, stories and narratives, just for this one battle.

This also concluded our End Times Campaign, which ran from 2014->2016 with 6 game days ahead of this Legendary Battle.  After the game, my friends released their paint lists for the last 2,5 year, and I was quite impressed. We are not normally the fastest painters, and those of us who paint have all gotten 2 babies each in the last 3.5 years so we do not have much time and has been pretty dedicated. My Teammate Dennis could brag about getting this painted:

Warhammer Goals 2016
Chaos Warriors:

5 Trolls
1 Chosen
5 Chaos Knights
2 Skull Chrushers
5 Warriors
1 Doombull

Warhammer Goals 2015
Chaos Warriors:

1 Shaggoth
Archaon on foot
The Glottkin
Daemons:
1 Burning Chariot
2 Beast of Nurgle
Tomb King:
3 Necropolis Knights
1 Tomb King
1 Screaming Skull Catapult

Warhammer Goals 2014
Ogre kingdom:

4 Ironguts
2 Bulls
Chaos Warriors:
1 Scyla
2 Dragon Ogres
1 Valkia
Daemons:
20 Bloodletters
1 Skull Cannon
1 Herald of Khorne

And my brother had this to-do list lying around (In Danish, but I think you get the idea) Wink

I include this to underline the amount of work my friends did as well. In this thread and my army blog, focus has been on my preparation primarily. This had kept the hobby flame burning bright for years, and inspired to consistent efforts from all of us. With this conclusion, we all went straight into hobby hiatus just to catch up on life and not burn out completely. We agreed not to arrange anything else for the rest of 2016 and that 2017 must be low key 2000-2500 points chill games.

Rules wise, we experienced two things. On the negative side, we got tired of the challenge rule. A challenge works better in smaller games, although the problem exist there as well. The problem is, that a challenge should be a narrative tool for an epic duels between the heroes clashing with their units around them. In reality, the challenging system hugely favours lone characters on mount. Why would a buffed up unit Grave Guards allow my Tauruk to enter a challenge with Vlad von Carstein, when they have nothing else to kill? Why would Krell chose not to get down to business? Game wise, the tanky characters can lock up huge units for many rounds, which became annoying when both teams had a plethora of options to do this.
On the positive side, it was spectacular to see the combos from the army books stack up. Ashstorm with Hellcannon, Nagash with Casket and Hierotitan, Trollunit joined by a Doombull with Blackened Plate, duo Vargulfs running in tandem and beefy deathstars all around the battlefield. In a normal game of Warhammer, you could do at least one of these things and it would define your list, but likely reduce it to a gimmicky and unbalanced list. Reading army books inspires your imagination, but normal list writing tend to follow a pattern: “I need a lvl 4, some fast cavalry chaff, a bunker with some ranks, and something killy and/or disruptive.” Being able to go crazy in combos you have wanted to try for years without denying your own chance of achieving a balanced list felt so good, and it actually balanced out decently in game.

In the months since, we have shared thoughts on the experience. Everybody agreed it was a taxing experience, and I do not think it is for everyone! Playing a losing game for 12 hours was not as fun as playing 3 games at 2500 points. Be prepared for that if you think about doing this yourself. That being said, the sheer scale and size, the accomplishment and hobby heights achieved does not register fully during the game. Having a ton of pictures and friendly banter after the games makes the experience better when remembering it. We have already agreed to replay this game in a year or two Wink

When the End Times began, I chose to be the game master for our campaign. I had zero experience, and had to discover what it meant and what was needed from me. I underestimated the time commitment quite severely and would probably not do the job again, now that I know what it entails. It quickly became a chore, albeit better than schoolwork. I wanted it to be good and I am quite sure I delivered, but it was a struggle from time to time. Our gaming group has progressed a lot in these years. We now have grass, rock and desert boards, with varied terrain. We have 4 armies in the 4000+ points category and another 3 armies of 2000+ points. We have some nice objectives and an easily adaptable scenario points system. We have a better understanding of the rules and we play faster and with less discussions and mistakes. So all in all, these past years have been great, the finally will be remembered and the hobby flame will be rekindled in 2017.

Lastsly, I will like to thank you guys! 2015 was rough on all Warhammer communities and I was worried for Chaos Dwarf Online in late 2015. The mood was lacking, not a lot was happening and some beloved old boys left our ranks. I decided to go hard on my army blog, forum presence and content creation, and with all the new users, I am not scared for the future of our community. You guys have been great, new as well as old. Lots of support, feedback and questions. I wrote this Battle Report to share my hobby passion, and even though I yet again underestimated the amount of man-hours this would require, your enthusiasm gave me some much needed motivation in the recent time.

So thank you! Stay awesome, and ask any question you may like.

Merry Christmas <3
- Pelle / Malorndk

PS: I got you bro!

Admiral Wrote:
As for the battle report, this is one magnificent beast that is almost as over the top as it gets (it would only have needed something in the magnitude of an Undead character surfing on a giant skull and a Chaos Dwarf surfing on a lava wave to top it all off).

This post was last modified: 12-23-2016 05:40 PM by Malorndk.

12-23-2016 04:39 PM
Darkmeer
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 116

RE: 14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6Darkmeer 12-23-2016

Amazing Battle Report.  I am sad to have seen Team Chaos lose to the Undead, but the end of the last turn was a deciding turn.  Simply by that being the case, that means that every decision was important throughout the battle.  Takes Hat offCheers!

I hope that your group continues, and these battle reports (and photos) are exceedingly helpful for a Chaos Dwarf player who hasn't played as much as, well, pretty well everyone on this site.

This post was last modified: 12-23-2016 10:17 PM by Darkmeer.

12-23-2016 10:13 PM
Helblindi
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 245
Scribe's Contest Gold Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: 14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6Helblindi 12-24-2016

Thank you for typing all this out, Malorn! It's been an exciting and inspiring read. And a great comeback at the end. One could not have hoped for a more suspensful battle.

Keep the flame kindled. I'm trying to get a campaign started with some friends, all I've got so far is a map and starting positions from most of the players. When something actually happens, I'll start up a thread here on the forums.

Happy holidays! May Hashut set your christmas tree on fire and release the K'Daai spirit bound within!

Helblindi's Throng: Karak Brothar
My Evil Throng: Helblindi's Legion
My Blood Bowl stuff
12-24-2016 04:07 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 593
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: 14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6Admiral 12-24-2016

Magnificent from beginning to end, with lots of swings to keep it thrilling. You guys have put in a monster work effort, and it paid off. Very well done, not least on the final image there! Takes Hat off

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
12-24-2016 08:24 AM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: 14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6Malorndk 12-24-2016

Thanks for all the kind comments guys! It is insane that you actually managed to read through all of this xD

12-24-2016 04:04 PM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 210
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: 14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6Carcearion 12-25-2016

We had some dark times, and what felt like a hell of a comeback! This was an amazingly epic battle report, and its great to know that we where one fantastic spell away from victory!

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
12-25-2016 07:30 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: 14.000 Points Legendary Battle - Battle Report starts at page 6 [DONE]Malorndk 12-31-2016

Thanks for all the feedback and slaves everybody. It was much appreciated <3

12-31-2016 08:39 AM
Pages (8): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [8th] Small Battle Report Triumph and Treachery with Chaos Dwarfs Baader the Great 17 1,842 01-07-2020 04:06 PM
Last Post: Baader the Great
  KoW Battle V's Vanilla Dwarfs 20May2018 Abecedar 8 2,220 05-26-2018 08:55 PM
Last Post: Abecedar
  K.o.W. Battle Report 23Apr2018 Abecedar 12 2,437 05-21-2018 08:55 PM
  KoW Battle V's Ogres 13Mar2018 Abecedar 13 2,402 03-17-2018 07:26 AM
  [8th Ed] Most Rediculous Battle 2000 pts Helblindi 1 3,294 01-09-2017 03:55 PM
Last Post: Malorndk

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites