Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin Casting
Author MessageVideo Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin Casting
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 504
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingXander 08-04-2009

Playlist, 8 Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFfXT_Cjp...B3&index=0

First video:

Rate 5 and leave comments! Questions welcome. Happy

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out!
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com
08-04-2009 05:12 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1259
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingNicodemus 08-04-2009

Great set of videos, thanks for posting.  Now I know why you don't need mine Wink

I find most plastic miniatures have a low enough density that you can pour your bottom layer of a silicone mould directly and just rest the plastic pieces in the top. They'll sink half way on their own.  About 24 hours later you can just paint on some rubber-to-rubber mould release and pour the top half.

For metals you can do something similar, but I pour a thin base layer first and then the next day that acts as a stop so that metal minis don't sink all the way to the bottom of the mould. From there you can pour in the silicone to the half-way point and the next day pour the top half.

In video #5 at the 3-4 minute mark, I'm not sure how many air pockets or bubbles you end up with in the finished product, but if you pour slower and from a much greater height the stream of silicone will become thinner than the size of the trapped bubbles and they will pop themselves during the pour.  I approve of the tapping at the 5-minute mark of video 5 as well, although I sometimes drop the entire mould straight down from a 10-20cm height.  I find that small air bubbles trapped in the silicone reduce the lifetime of the mould, especially if they're trapped near the surface detail of miniatures.  The importance of the whole preparation and pouring of the mould stage can't be stressed enough, IMHO.

Again, great posting!!
~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

This post was last modified: 08-04-2009 05:54 PM by Nicodemus.

08-04-2009 05:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingKera foehunter 08-04-2009

Great video !!!!! i hope you got grims ok to cast it  lol he a real grumpy bear when he gets mad !! can't wait to see the more

The last of female chaos dwarf
08-04-2009 05:57 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1363
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingGrimstonefire 08-04-2009

Great series Xander.

I learned a few things watching this, it never occured to me to use mould release ontop of the plasticine in the first half.  I will definately be doing that.

Your sprue idea was good as well, I did something similar with smaller bits of plastic, but nice big channels would help.  The process I do generally is pretty much identical to yours.

Something I do that you didn't was to actually paint the moulding rubber onto the models before pouring in.  I don't get bubbles on the model that way, but it ruins the brush each time so get cheap ones. Wink

Another thing worth mentioning is that the air you trap in the syringe can be an issue if there are still areas where air can trap.  So I would recommend squeezing the plunger a bit to get it dripping before sticking it into the mould.  It's not so important if you've not got much air in there, but you notice on the 3rd mould Xander had a fair bit of air sucked up.

It was very interesting for me watching this, seeing as I have also made moulds of the same models.  I think the angles you put the models in was better than in mine, although the brotherhood guy you used has significantly fewer sharp angles than when I did mine (the mould was breaking down when I gave Xander these, so I had to fill some areas in a bit).

You picked a good angle to put the immortal in, I didn't think it through properly and put the arm in one side of the mould (as opposed to half in either side as you did).

Any chance you could load some close up shots of the casts?  I'd like to see how my repair work came out.

@Kera
I gave these to Xander to thank him for creating CDO and all the hard work he put in.  I don't mind him casting them at all.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 08-04-2009 07:19 PM by Grimstonefire.

08-04-2009 07:16 PM
Nicodemus

Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingNicodemus 08-04-2009

Grimstonefire Wrote:
Great series Xander.

Something I do that you didn't was to actually paint the moulding rubber onto the models before pouring in.  I don't get bubbles on the model that way, but it ruins the brush each time so get cheap ones. Wink

Ditto.  This works amazingly well and makes the difference between a casting that needs a lot of green stuff to patch up spots, and one that's ready to be primed and painted (well, almost).

I just dab a little silicone on to the mini, a very small amount and then spread it around with my finger and then blow very hard on it so that it spreads out and into all the crevasses. After that I just dab on a little more with a popsicle stick and put it into the poured silicone.

Oh, and just a word of warning.  Most of the resins are cyano-based, hence the fast reaction. Essentially the same idea as Krazy Glue (which is cyanoacryate).  People can check the MSDS sheets companies provide to be sure.  While they aren't highly toxic, multiple exposures over time usually result in hypersensitivity (I have this).  Even for people without hypersensitivity, the resins (before they react fully) will also react with oils in your skin.  Your hands are probably going to be fine for 99+% of people, but there is a lot more oils in, and on, the skin of your face - especially your cheeks and nose.  ... So my advice is don't rub your nose when it starts to itch as a lot of people will end up with a blister within a few days, and within 3-4 days it'll look like a full-on chemical burn.

Just my 2 cents.
~N

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )

08-04-2009 07:28 PM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingXander 08-04-2009

I've casted them 5 times ,and assembled 4 Immortals and 3 Brothers.  I am trying to mix things up so I am converting them as well.  When I have 5 of each I will take some shots. I am really having fun putting these guys together.

Grim's figures are really sweet, and it was an awesome bit of thanks on his behalf!  I was pretty stoked to know that I would soon have my own Grimitures. Tongue His early sculpts on HoH were some of my earliest inspiration for Chaos Dwarfs and sculpting!  

Thanks for all the comments guys. Happy  Hopefully these videos show how simple it can be to make molds. I'll be showing the series around some other web sites, which might attract some new eyes to the Chaos Dwarfs on my channel. Wink

08-04-2009 07:29 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1363
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingGrimstonefire 08-04-2009

@NIcodemus

That really sucks.  Another, though much less important thing is that resin will ruin pretty much anything it settles on once mixed.  Desks, carpets, clothing.

Is there much of a mould line on your casts?  I managed to get practically none on the immortal, though the brotherhood guy needed a bit of cleaning around the head and arms.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 08-04-2009 07:36 PM by Grimstonefire.

08-04-2009 07:33 PM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingXander 08-04-2009

The mold lines are fairly negligible. Mostly just where the sprue meets the model is where I have to touch things up. Happy

08-04-2009 07:42 PM
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingGRNDL 08-04-2009

Holy cremola! That's like $40 Cdn of RTV rubber!!!!

Also, nice vid series. Like Grim, I do most of that as well. The sprue idea is good, but I generally build loose vents and irrigation channels and then refine them throughout casting by cutting the mold.

Lego is the aces!!  Its standardized sizes allows you to easily make the same mould box over and over and also help in determining the approximate volume of the fill, so you don't waste rubber. Although in Xander's case, he's very comfortable with large volume pours of RTV!!  Most of my moulds are about 1" to 2" cubed. The biggest ones have been terrain tiles and lizardman glyph plates, but those are shallow moulds.

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

08-04-2009 07:46 PM
wallacer
Hashut's cow pimp

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 1046
Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Wiki - Major Contributor Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin Castingwallacer 08-04-2009

Awesome series of videos.
The whole process is a lot more straightforward than I realised.

[edit] Why hasn't this thread been stickied?

Army pics: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...888&page=1

This post was last modified: 08-04-2009 10:16 PM by wallacer.

08-04-2009 10:14 PM
Malorn
Hobgoblin

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 34

RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingMalorn 08-05-2009

Gw should go home Tongue We could make our own CD Army box, if people send their molds our elected "supercaster". With a little work, we could make some fairly cheap and goodloking CD armies quite fast, for the newcomers who are afraid of greenstuff, but like the hellcanon styled Chaos dwarfs. Of course the money had to be split between the caster and every sculptor associated with the project, but it could be arranged Tongue

Just an idea though...

Great video Xander! Gives a great insight and knowhow

08-05-2009 05:39 AM
Nicodemus

RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingNicodemus 08-05-2009

Malorn Wrote:
Gw should go home Tongue We could make our own CD Army box, if people send their molds our elected "supercaster". With a little work, we could make some fairly cheap and goodloking CD armies quite fast, for the newcomers who are afraid of greenstuff, but like the hellcanon styled Chaos dwarfs. Of course the money had to be split between the caster and every sculptor associated with the project, but it could be arranged Tongue

Provided the sculptors are OK with it (and no copyright bitz went into making it) some of them could be offered as prizes for a WOH contest... kind of like what they're doing with the Border Town Burning Competition and the Chaos Dwarf Warband.

~N

08-05-2009 10:52 AM
warh
Lammasu

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 267
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin Castingwarh 08-05-2009

realy good video guide!
did lern a loot

"In White Dwarf We Trust"

08-05-2009 01:18 PM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 87
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2007 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingIshkur Cinderhat 08-05-2009

Well Sir that's a very nice tutorial and also an interesting take on mold making. I make molds for some 10 years now and I actually never thought of making them in such a way that the resin will rise into the cast and push out the air on top. But the casting result looks pretty much flawless to me. I shall take that into consideration next time! Have 5 stars. Cheers! Takes Hat off

08-05-2009 03:03 PM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingXander 08-05-2009

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
Well Sir that's a very nice tutorial and also an interesting take on mold making. I make molds for some 10 years now and I actually never thought of making them in such a way that the resin will rise into the cast and push out the air on top. But the casting result looks pretty much flawless to me. I shall take that into consideration next time! Have 5 stars. Cheers! Takes Hat off

High Praise from an experienced Mold Maker and Caster! Ya, I am not sure where that idea game from really, but it's worked quite well for me. Happy

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I've been wanting to get this series done for a while, so it's great to finally have it done! The kit I used is pretty neat.  It's a great all in one package for those who want to try casting. Wink

Thanks again, guys!

08-05-2009 04:05 PM
clam
Slave to Darkness

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1264
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin Castingclam 08-05-2009

Awesome video show Takes Hat off

Wish you've made it six months ago, though - could/would have saved me from a lot of trouble.

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook
08-05-2009 05:05 PM
Kera foehunter

Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingKera foehunter 08-06-2009

Grimstonefire Wrote:
Great series Xander.

@Kera
I gave these to Xander to thank him for creating CDO and all the hard work he put in.  I don't mind him casting them at all.

hey just watching out for yaTakes Hat off  just teasing you all

I would like some Grim figures too
i even better looking than xanderTongue

08-06-2009 06:07 PM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingXander 08-06-2009

Kera foehunter Wrote:
I would like some Grim figures too

Psshhht.  Did you see me in the last Word of Hashut?  I was looking fine in that CDO T-Shirt. Wink

The figures really are quite cool.  I'll need to get some pictures of some of the assembled ones.

This post was last modified: 08-06-2009 06:18 PM by Xander.

08-06-2009 06:17 PM
Kera foehunter

RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin CastingKera foehunter 08-06-2009

Xander Wrote:
[quote=Kera foehunter]I would like some Grim figures too

Psshhht.  Did you see me in the last Word of Hashut?  I was looking fine in that CDO T-Shirt. Wink

Ha ha ha ! that a good one !! the reason why i don't have pictures in my cdo shirt is that you can read is  has   war
all kidding aside could you please post some of the minni"s please

08-06-2009 06:47 PM
warh
Lammasu

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 267
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: Video Tutorial: Mold Making and Resin Castingwarh 02-26-2010

hello.
sorry to post in a old thread but where could i find this starter kit in europe without
need to pay a shipping on 70 dollar or a overpriced price at 75 pound?

"In White Dwarf We Trust"

02-26-2010 03:05 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Press casting your own shields (tutorial) Sjoerdo 2 1,860 04-19-2018 08:46 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Very quick mould making and casting (for beginners) Grimstonefire 12 27,565 08-19-2012 07:53 PM
Last Post: Hashut's Blessing
  Video Tutorial: Magnetizing Warhammer Units Xander 12 9,853 07-22-2012 11:25 AM
Last Post: kingeamonn
  Tutorial: Making rivets/bolts. m3lvin 7 12,178 11-08-2009 12:49 AM
Last Post: black hammer
  Face making tutorial wallacer 9 4,126 10-19-2008 01:15 PM
Last Post: furrie

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites