Post Reply  Post Thread 
Modular Chaos Dwarf Terrain Table
Author MessageModular Chaos Dwarf Terrain Table
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1259
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
Modular Chaos Dwarf Terrain TableNicodemus 08-13-2010

As promised in the last podcast, it's time to step up and deliver.  This will be the first part of a video tutorial in a short series as I muddle through my first attempt at making a modular terrain table this Fall/Winter ... with terrain that's more complicated than flat (essentially) 2D boards with tiles on them.
I'm starting with a 2'x4', section, which will ultimately be part of an overall 4'x8' layout (or maybe 4'x10')... we'll just have to see.

I'm using extruded polystyrene, which is in pretty common use these days.

Modular Terrain - Part 1  (what you need to start and building Zharr Ungdrin Ankor from the "ground" up)

Enjoy,
~N

P.S. Here's a few images:

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

This post was last modified: 08-13-2010 12:07 PM by Nicodemus.

08-13-2010 04:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 742
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Modular Chaos Dwarf Terrain TableHashut's Blessing 08-13-2010

When I've got the time to watch and pay attention properly, I shall do. I am VERY intrigued to watch this (and likely use it in the future [when I have space) Wink ).

Thank you for doing this Big Grin

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

08-13-2010 05:26 AM
Fequiil
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 53

RE: Modular Chaos Dwarf Terrain TableFequiil 09-08-2010

looking good, devinatly going to watch it.

09-08-2010 02:12 PM
zobo1942
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 19
Slaves: 109

RE: Modular Chaos Dwarf Terrain Tablezobo1942 09-08-2010

Are you going to use plaster cloth to cover your mountain? I saw some at a 'Michaels' store yesterday, and thought it would be a quick, easy, and effective way to cover up the support structure you made from the foam.

09-08-2010 03:19 PM
Clinkz
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 6

RE: Modular Chaos Dwarf Terrain TableClinkz 09-09-2010

How you have time to do all these projects Nicodemus is beyond me, i think i got one model painted this week..anyway looks great! Happy

09-09-2010 07:10 AM
warh
Lammasu

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 267
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: Modular Chaos Dwarf Terrain Tablewarh 09-09-2010

this looks cool!!
I wish I had room for a gaming tableAngry

"In White Dwarf We Trust"

09-09-2010 10:20 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 504
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Modular Chaos Dwarf Terrain TableXander 09-09-2010

Looks ambitious and awesome.  Keep us updated!

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out!
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com
09-09-2010 10:26 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1363
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Modular Chaos Dwarf Terrain TableGrimstonefire 09-09-2010

The cork bark GW uses looks really pretty for rock faces.  Would be very light compared to plaster cloth.  Expanding foam can be carved reasonably well as well, and it's quite light.

Where will the models be fighting Nicodemus?  I take it this is half the battlefield?

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 09-09-2010 10:49 AM by Grimstonefire.

09-09-2010 10:47 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1259
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Modular Chaos Dwarf Terrain TableNicodemus 09-09-2010

Grimstonefire Wrote:
The cork bark GW uses looks really pretty for rock faces.  Would be very light compared to plaster cloth.  Expanding foam can be carved reasonably well as well, and it's quite light.

Where will the models be fighting Nicodemus?  I take it this is half the battlefield?

Thanks for the suggestions and comments all.  

@Clinkz  With regards to where I find the time...  LOL, I sleep ~5 hours max per night, usually it's closer to 4hrs. I think that's the only secret.  That being said I'm not going to be done this project any time soon as I'm planning this to be an exclusively indoor-only winter project. The Winters here are insanely cold, so there's absolutely no way possible to go outside and ski or do anything else fun.  Most of the Winter (from December-April) is -20°C or colder. Most of January/February is between -50°C and -40°C... so as you can probably gather, I need lots to do inside Wink

@Grimstonefire There will be space at the base of the mountain, its side/ramp (which may actually be getting a total remodel anyway) as well as inside and along a stone staircase plateau at the top where the watchtower will be. Other than that this board section is 2'x4' and will only be ¼, maybe at the most 2/3, of the total table. I've got 4 other 2'x2' boards ready to start work on which would make this 4'x6' already... assuming I and my buddies are willing to game on a pink landscape Wink

I also like the expanding foam plan and have used it before, but to no great effect. That being said it's pretty cheap and expands and sets super fast, which are all big pluses. I'm still planning to do a layer of plaster over the outside of everything to make it more uniform.  I'll have to check out Michaels for some of the plaster cloth... although we have scads of the smaller strips around for doing (people) arm/leg/etc casting.

I'm also very aware that these videos are not intended to be a blog/vlog so I'm holding off on any more 'contributions' to this thread until I have enough to constitute a tutorial.

~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

09-09-2010 12:02 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites